wheelie's ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltykillswitch

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a 4910 and have converted to a 3.3. It has proline 40 trencher wheels steel cvd full aluminum skid and braces. Stock bell and integy 3 piece clutch leading edge engage Turning a 70 tooth spur and forward only conversion. I think it is tuned very nicely and I can't get it to wheelie without a small bump to pick up the front end. Once it's up it will stay up. What do I need to do to get this to pick up a bit more.

If your temperature is good you can try leaning the LSN a bit. Watch the temps! Too lean on the LSN is an overheat.

You could run a clutch bell with less teeth on it. I did that with my Revo and it does wheelies all day. I think I went from a 20T down to about a 17T.

My Temps are good and I've leaned it till the Temps were getting hot or till performance began to get worse. I'm wondering if it's the 70 tooth spur. I have the 5478 resenator on it as well and have looped fuel line on it going to the carb so I have time to get to it and flip it over before it dies.

Hows your suspension set-up? if its set up soft your gonna get a squat & go instead of a wheely.

I was going to reply with the following last night, but my compy died....

"It may be that you need to lower the tooth count on the spur gear. What you need is quick acceleration, such that the gearing allows enough engine torque to be utilized, to then be able to pick up the nose of te rig.

Also, have you looked at the suspension setup?"

Seems that between sorting out my tablet and this morning, everyone has already mentioned what I was going to say..

My maxx is getting kinda heavy and need better shocks but I has to add alot of spacers to to rear to get it to quit squating and dragging. But I thought that the 3.3 Should drag that 4910 like a rag doll.

Avoiding squat is a combination of spring rate, shock oil and a couple of other factors.

Getting the nose up is about torque and the right gearing in combo with shock setup and weight bias. A heavy nose end is not akin to allowing a wheely to occur, though with the right setup it can be achieved.

It may be that you need to lower the tooth count on the spur gear. What you need is quick acceleration, such that the gearing allows enough engine torque to be utilized, to then be able to pick up the nose of te rig..

Lower tooth count on a spur gear gives less torque and more top end. For more low end torque you can either add teeth to the spur or less teeth on the clutch bell, I almost always choose less teeth on the clutch bell.

Typical me, in a hurry to type and get out the door to the shop for my coffee, I put spur gear in place of clutch bel!!!

DOH!! Homer moment!

Last edited:
it's all good bro, we all do it once in a while!

Aye, but lately it seems to be happening far to regularly to me for my liking just lately. May have something to do with having other things on my mind.............

it's all good bro, we all do it once in a while!

No, we don't.
nga-Home-Mortgage-First-Time-Home-Buyers-Randy-Charlton-Keller-Williams-Realty-Homer-Simpson-Doh.png

My maxx is getting kinda heavy and need better shocks but I has to add alot of spacers to to rear to get it to quit squating and dragging. But I thought that the 3.3 Should drag that 4910 like a rag doll.

Just adding a bunch of ride height spacers is not going to change the spring rate, you really should get some better springs if your still using the stock red 2.1lb rate springs.
Even the white Traxxas progressive springs will be better then the red ones.
There are several good spring choices on ebay, you can also use the AE MGT springs, or even the integy spring kit.

Lack of traction is a wheely killer too.

I was just trying to kill alot of the squat and lack of suspension by adding the spacers thanks though I will look up the ones you suggested

Upgraded springs are the #1 thing you can do to your truck to make it handle better.

Back