Wheel Wobble after installing CVD's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxmedic

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
The other night, I installed the steel CVD axle shafts that Traxxas offers for the T-Maxx.. I noticed that all 4 wheels now wobble on the hub. I did not have this issue prior with the stock plastic shafts. All 4 wheel nuts are tight, and 2 of the 4 hubs are new.. Anyone else have this same issue and how do I correct this? I'm running HPI GT 2 tires mounted on HPI GT 5 rims with 14 mm hubs..

I've had no issue with mine at all.

What hex's are you using? Stock 14mm or Traxxas 17mm?

Make sure the wheel nut isn't bottoming out on the axle shoulder before the wheels get tight.

Their brand new CVD shafts I bought from my LHS. The hexes are stock plastic 14mm. Nikko, I'll have to check that later tonight. Can I shim the hexes and or the wheel to prevent the nuts from bottoming out.

I shim all my axles if i have any in and out play after the wheel is tight. About 2 shims behind the hex pin should do it, make sure all the play is gone but the wheel spins as free as possible. If you need to add shims behind the axle nut make sure you use the fiber shims, if you use the steel shims your wheel nut could come loose.

Make sure the hex's aren't bent/Warped. Plastic hex nuts can bend around the axle pin causing a teeter totter when laid flat, this can make the wheel wobble.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll have to give it a shot tonight.

Ok, I installed 2 fiber washers under the axle pins and hubs and that did the trick. Thanks..

No dont put the fiber washers behind the pin. Fiber washers should only be used behind the wheel nut and the wheel. You should put steel washers behind the axle pin.

Back