what's the difference?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk6672

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What's the difference between the stock 2.5 and the 3.3 Tmaxx besides the engine?
The reson why I ask is that I have a 3.3 Revo that I'm currently upgrading parts and engine on and I bought a 2.5 Tmaxx as a Christmas present for my son and I'd like to save the 3.3 from my revo since it's in good shape for an upgrade engine later for the Tmaxx. Would there be any gearing problems?

No gearing problems really. It's the rest of the driveline you'll have to worry about. The entire chassis and driveline from trans to wheel bearings is different.
Will the 3.3 destroy this truck? No, but the shafts and diffs are considerably weaker than the newer "revo spec" parts.
Alot of people will swap the diffs, shafts, carriers, toe links, and other related bearings and such.

I don't mind upgrading drive line parts if that's what it takes. Is the granny the same?

No two grannies are the same...:hehe::rolex:

There are three trannies, well sort of. The first is a black one with a 5mm output. The second is a grey one with a 5mm output. The third is the latest version, grey with a 6mm output.

To use a stronger shaft with your black trans you'll need something with a 5mm on the trans side and 6mm at the diff. If you're using a stock 2.5 chassis with a 5mm trans that's no problem, traxxas has cvds for that purpose.

I don't even know what tyranny it has, but since its still in the box I'm going to assume its the latest version.