what RC car do i have?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Italianbonez718

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone new to the forum here,

so after about 4 years i am trying to get my old RC car started again and i am wondering once and for all what model it is. this was given to me about 8 years ago by a guy that knew nothing about it and did not run. after about 4 years i couldn't figure out how to get it going to i brought it to a shop nearby (which has now since closed). all i remember was that they had to change the carb and tune everything and said there was no way it could have started "as is" and the parts were mismatched. after tuning and replacing the carb this thing fired up and was KICKA**. now the interesting part, when i inquired about a body for this to protect the insides he told me that it was not a rc10gt as the box and the documentation said but something else (i can't remember unfortunately) and i would have a hard time finding a top for it because it was old. (i double checked him and all the rc10gt's i can find on the internet has a blue tub and this one has a black one so i am at a complete loss)

so i used it once and now it has sat for another 4 years but i would like to get it going again. besides all the maintenance and a good cleaning this thing deserves and needs i am trying to figure out what model this is once and for all so i can use the wonderful internet to find a body for it. does anyone have any idea??? thank you a million times for any response!

Attachments

• car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 173
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 157
  • car3.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 368
nice thanks! i guess the other guy looked at it a little too quick. now i have to find a body for it lol.

Looks like a black tub chassis GT. I think TBG makes bodies for them on Ebay but I don't think the GT2 body or most others will fit without it looking a little strange.

what was the difference with the black tub outside of the color?

The blue chassis is a bit longer and much stronger. The black tub chassis has some flex which can destroy your spur gear and it doesn't handle quite as good as the blue.

so i should be careful with it, got it. and i thought the gt2 bodies didnt fit this? since this is the black one is it an older version? and i previously bought a body a few years back just to try and it was NO WHERE near close to fitting correctly unfortunately. thats why this time i would like to not waste $20 and get the right one with a little research first.

based upon what I am reading the GT2 will not fit look into who cornholio suggested and see what they offer.

You don't have to be that careful with it, the older GT is still an awesome basher..just keep an extra spur gear on hand just in case. Yes, the black tub chassis is older than the flat blue one. You shouldn't have a problem finding a body on Ebay for it. I'll be home from work in a few hours if you need help finding one.

got it thanks Cornholio. i already have a question in to teambluegroove on ebay about what the diffrence is between the two bodies he has (9516 and 6131). i couldnt find a picture of what either one looked like painted and just wanted to check the diffrence before i bought one.

Cool thinks I bought my first GT back in 1995 and sold it bought my last one in 2000 sold it later on when I got into the MT scene. I loved the trucks just not quite big enough for what I wanted.

Looks like an RC10 with an old HPI Nitro Star engine.

is that engine any good? i remember the last time i saw it run it was FAST. but I've never seen any others so i don't really have anything to compare it too.

Looks like an RC10 with an old HPI Nitro Star engine.

is that engine any good? i remember the last time i saw it run it was FAST. but I've never seen any others so i don't really have anything to compare it too.

I don't think that's A HPI nitro star engine- I believe it's a Torq 3.5 .21 engine- which you can't find much on. I think they were used in Duratrax buggies, so saying that it was given to you and was 4 years old, I wouldn't give it much longer. :)

nice, well the car has been in my possession for 8 years and when i got it it wasn't running for a while. is there a way i could find out for sure what brand it is at least? is there usually a marking on them somewhere?

nice, well the car has been in my possession for 8 years and when i got it it wasn't running for a while. is there a way i could find out for sure what brand it is at least? is there usually a marking on them somewhere?
Well we think the car is a Losi RC10GT with a bucket chassis, and as I mentioned earlier a torq 3.5 engine from a duratrax. Other than that it looks pretty similar, but as with most old rc's, things get discontinued broken, and replaced with bits off other cars. :)

so basically its a little too vintage for its own good haha. i guess ill try to get it running again and eventually save up for another motor since it sounds like this one has been on borrowed time for a while. i dont see why it wouldnt start if it has been left alone for so long (it isnt seized up or anything).

so basically its a little too vintage for its own good haha. i guess ill try to get it running again and eventually save up for another motor since it sounds like this one has been on borrowed time for a while. i dont see why it wouldnt start if it has been left alone for so long (it isnt seized up or anything).
Just run it till it dies, or replace now and keep as spare :)

sounds good to me, ill learn on that and when it finally dies ill know what I'm doing hopefully. half of me kind of likes keeping old things that should have died out long ago running so who knows maybe this will work out like that too. thanks for your help!