VX-18 question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
On my buggy the engine is a VX-18 made by vertex, by chungyang industries. They claim to make Mugen stuff. http://www.chungyang.com.tw/e/e.htm

It's starting to lose compression. It's only had a gallon or so through it but I think the reason it's dying is because I never oiled the air filter (stupid thing to do I know). Any ways, I wanted to know if I should buy the same engine or invest in an OS or the like that will fit it.

The engine runs very well, about 50 MPH tops with stock everything, and it's pretty easy to tune. It's just that after 5 minutes or so of running, it like to stall at idle and not start until it cools, and when you yank the starter it turns over really easy.

Edit: I can't find the dimensions anywhere, so I sent in an inquiry to the company. They look like a pretty decent lot, so I should get a reply. Asked them for dimensions and specs for the engine.

Last edited:
Looks like a typical side exhaust, rotary carb, standard crank small block.

Like this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXGGP7&P=V

VX-18
vx-18.jpg

OS 18 CV-R(X) Standard Shaft
osmg2104.jpg

That OS is a good little engine. Break in is pretty straight forward and it follows their old line of cv-r's, which I've run many gallons through in the past. (15 cv-r(x) )

I had the 18, but only about 1/2 gallon through it. It was still shiny new when I sold it.

It was still shiny new when I sold it.
Shame that they go so young, eh?

I'll take a look at that engine once they send me the dimensions for the VX. From the looks of it, it'll fit, but since I have almost no budget to speak of, I need to be sure. Thanks!