upgrading questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad sceintist

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have 2 vehicles that arent worth very much money.
a dyratrax maximum st and a maximum bx.
i also have a traxxas stampede.

well the servos on the duratrax vehicles arent pulling their weight anymore and i had to take one good one from each to get one of the vehicles going.
what I'm trying to do is:
(1)upgrade the radio and reciever to an fm.
(2) upgrade the servos

in the radio i want is somethign that can be used with anyvehicle/brand.
in the servos i want solid performers. i can get replacement 303 for $9.99 on tower but then i would be right where i started from.
ill prolly buy the radio and reciever and one set of servos first, check em out see if i like em and then upgrade the others later.

are off-road/on-road servo the same thing?
like if i buy servos and reciever for that crappy st, can i later throw them into a tc3 or 4-tec? such a thing as all-purpose servo?

I'm clueless on this part of the hobby any info would help

Servos are universal as far as what kind of vehicle you can use them in.

The key factors you look at are.. Metal geared for stearing..

HS for ON Road or Throttle and any vehicle

More torqe for steering.

Now with that said we need to know your price range?
Full amount you want to spend and if there is only a certain amount for radio and certain for servos or it dosent matter..

Also are those vehicles nitro or electric .... X

well as always cheapest possible.
or best bang for the buck is more like it.
somethig i would be happy with that i wouldnt get and 2 months later say, well i wish i woulda gotten this model instead.
any suggestions ona radio system?

If you got the cash I would get a JR XS3. They are crystaless which is a big plus and it has all the bells and whistles you would ever want and it can save the settings for up to 6 different vehicles and the 2 sevos that come with it kick ass on 1/10 scale tracks and cars. price is 239 but I found it at a LHS for 199.

whats the purpose of radios with a display? i know they tell you what freq your on but what else do they say? i read somewhere someone was unhappy with a new radio he bought cause it was draining the batteries alot.

as far as the 239 for a radio ...a lot out of my budget
anything for 100-150 that will keep me good for a while? remember I've been using rtr radio for a while with out a problem do new radios come with receivers too?

Back