"Unlocked" cell phone?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I have an AT&T phone that I hardly ever use unless I'm in the car. I have a chance to get a Motorola Flip phone which I would prefer. The flip phone says, "Unregistered SIM card". Does that mean I can just take out my ATT card and put it in the Motorola and be good to go?

If they use the same type of sims card it should work....if the sims card fits it's good

What carrier was the Motorola originally using? An unlocked phone in my personal experience does not work as well on other carriers than what the phone was originally designed for. An unregistered sim card usually means there is one in the phone but has not been assigned a number/owner info.

As racer1966 said- if say the sim card was at&t, and the phone was bought from at&t, that means that the phone is registered to at&t. This means that that phone will only work with at&T sim cards. However, if the phone you wanted to put the sim card into was also registered to at&t, it would still work. Unlocking a phone basically means that it un-registers the phone from any company. So it'll accept any sim card you put in it.

She didn't know.
I'll be stopping by later today and I'll take it home just to mess with it and see if it will work before I buy it.
If its from a second hand technology shop, it usually tells you as there's a little sticker on the phone.

Well, cancelled the deal. I really like the Motorola flip phones, but this was a Tracphone Pre-pay and no way to port my number or contacts.

Well, cancelled the deal. I really like the Motorola flip phones, but this was a Tracphone Pre-pay and no way to port my number or contacts.
Never even heard of tracphone.