UK Scene disruption

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbage

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just thought I'd come here and let off a bit of steam, seeing as doing it on a UK forum right now would do more damage in an already not great situation.

2 weeks from tomorrow the UK Rock Crawling Nationals are due to take place at Bracken Rocks in Derbyshire, and the whole community was looking forward to the event, which is usually a 2 day get-together with camping and social on the Saturday night beforehand.

That was until Friday afternoon. Two guys from Radio Race Car International magazine who post regularly on the RockRC forum (main UK crawler forum), suggested we did a demo in association with the BRCA (British Radio Car Association) at a show in the UK, and tried to get the BRCA involved with Rock Crawling. The Nationals event organizers decided they were accusing them of not being able to organize events themselves. This turned into one of those usual internet crap-storms where everything is a misunderstanding and by Friday at 15:45 the organizers had declared the Nationals event cancelled with immediate effect.

Thankfully a brave soul has stepped in and rebooked the event site. They are in the process of rescuing the event and trying to confirm as many entries as they can to make sure they get the venue cost back. As it stands it looks like we still have a Nationals for 2009, but the community is now split and the next few months after the Nats are going to get VERY ugly with people debating wether we need to be BRCA sanctioned or not.

I, and my buddy, think it's a great idea to get BRCA sanctioning, bodies like that can only help you promote and advance a R/C sport in our opinion. He's worked with the BRCA before and he says they are a good organization to have onside. I can't disagree with a man who already knows them and has worked with them many times.

Stuff like this makes you wonder why you bother sometimes, but then it also makes you give a crap about stuff too. On the upside if a few people drop out of the Nationals then I'll get to run, as I didn't make the original entry list.

Thanks for your eyes.

Thats what internet will get you lol! If the BRCA were to be brought it conjunction with the Nationals or any other aspect of it-it would only make it better for the sport like you said Mark. Not everyone can see the bright side of everything sometimes lol.

Sounds like a matter of the original even organizers being oversenstitive and paying too much attention to the internet. Sometimes business needs to take place either on the phone or in person. A web forum probably isn't the best place to undertake communication over plans that big. Somebody should've just picked up the phone. At least it sounds like it'll get going again... but how many people did they piss off through all the BS?

I don't think anyone specifically implied the Nationals this year needed to fall under the BRCA, it was a general suggestion to help Rock Crawling progress in the future.

It's my opinion that we need to all stand under 1 rule set and one organisation or the UK scene is gonna fall apart. We can't afford these disputes. This is the second time the Nationals has caused friction enough to cause a rift in the community.

I hear ya as far as the Internet thing goes. Classic case of text not getting emotions across right and the whole thing going to hell. Happened to me more times than I know. One reason I'm not saying anything on the UK forums is I refuse to do anything but talk to people mano-a-mano about it. I spent a lot of time this morning on the phone to my buddy (we are i the process of setting up our own course and events, you see) discussing it. He seems pretty clear on the matter and I am willing to back him because he's been down the road before.

As for how many people it's pissed off, well I don't really know. I think we'll only find that out *after* the Nats when the real crap starts to hit the fan :\

Last edited:
Back