Toddler's eyeball sliced in half by drone propeller

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninnon

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Yes, it's as nasty as it sounds unfortunately.

Mr Evans said: "It was up for about 60 seconds. As I brought it back down to land it just clipped the tree and span round.

"The next thing I know I've just heard my friend shriek and say 'Oh God no' and I turned around and just saw blood and his baby on the floor crying."

I feel bad for both parties here because it really was a freak accident and a child's eye took the blow from it.
Here are the rules, which you could say he weren't following, although sometimes these things do happen.
Guidance for safe drone flying
  • Before each flight, check drone for damage and make sure all components are working in accordance with the user manual
  • The drone must be within the operator's sight at all times
  • The operator is responsible for avoiding collisions with other people or objects
  • The drone must not be flown in any way which could endanger people or property
  • It is illegal to fly drones over congested areas such as streets, towns or cities
  • Stay well clear of airports and airfields
  • Do not fly drones within 50m of a person, vehicle, building or structure, or overhead groups of people at any height
Source: Civil Aviation Authority

Source: http://www.bbc.com/n...cester-34936739

You may or may not of heard about this, but I thought I'd post it here, just for awareness. Not that any of you would risk flying a large scale drone around small children, especially when landing.

This is my issue with today's drones. You buy and fly...or try to fly. NO TRAINING, No safety discussions. People think they fly themselves. They do, but only to a point. Lose control and it will come back, based on GPS location but an error on the sticks is your fault.

That is terrible, and just further proof of why the FAA and DOT and putting regulations into effect. And not all multi rotors (I hate the word drone, and refuse to use it) have return to home functionality, nor do all need it IMO. My sport quad never flies very far away at all, as it's more fun to throw around really low 50ft from you. I don't need RTH to fly 50ft, nor do I feel I need it on any of my aircraft. There have been plenty of issue with RTH going bonkers on it's own, and flying off into the sunset. BUT, there's no way to know how much of that is operator / setup error, or cheap Chinese electronics unfortunately. So, I don't use it, but to each their own.

Too many "cheap" large scale quad copters are coming into the market, causing uneducated idiots to buy them leading to incidents such as this. They need much harsher laws on flying drones over a certain size over here in the UK. Cheap drones should be exactly what they're meant to be- cheap, nasty, and not very powerful. Something with blade guards should be a law for any quad copter that is being flown by an unlicensed user. They should also set limits to the power of the motors and emergency cutoffs once it has gone out of range for the same types of users. I also think that ANY quad copter should have an emergency cutoff button or automatic cutoff once it goes out of range. No matter how much the drone costs, it is always worth less than someones eyesight- especially a toddlers...

Back