Thunder Tiger EB4 Rally Game

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madrab

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi There,

newbie here so please be gentle :)

Just got my TT out of storage, did the usual strip down, clean, lubricate etc.

It will start but it will not run on/tick over.

As there is no pump on the tank, I use a piece of pipe to pressurise tank and fuel flows no bother to prime the engine. Car starts but cuts out as the priming fuel is used up. I can keep the engine running by pressurising the tank via the pipe in my mouth but when I transfer to the pipe from the exhaust it cuts out, as if there's no pressure from the exhaust to the tank. Have cleaned out all the fuel and breather pipes, nipple on the exhaust etc. I can blow through the exhaust with both ends sealed and the nipple is clear. I have tested the tank cap seal in case it had perished but seal is fine.

Kinda stumped, hope someone has some ideas as to where to go with it now??

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Sounds like your fuel lines are clear but you're not getting a decent prime blowing into the fuel tank.
Have you tried plugging the exhaust tip with your finger while pulling the pull start?
With the exhaust tip plugged the engine should draw fuel as the piston goes up and down
If it doesn't, you may need to richen your carb adjustments or check for blockage in the carb

Appreciate the replies guys.

Usually with this tank, as there's no thumb pump, I prime by attaching a pipe to the breather and blow enough fuel in to prime, with the throttle open 1/4 priming does not seem to be the problem, as it will run for about 5 secs on that. Tank just doesn't seem to get pressurised, as I can usually see fuel flow through the clear pipes.
I'll give that a try though.

How's the seal between the exhaust header and the engine? Could be that you're loosing pressure here. Could be the head isn't seated properly and causing loss of pressure. Are the lines clear so you can see the fuel when you prime the carb? When the engine starts does the fuel get forced back into the fuel tank or does it appaer of stay put at the HSN? Sounds to me like its a pressurization issue which shouldn't be too difficult to resolve.

Hi There,

newbie here so please be gentle :)

Just got my TT out of storage, did the usual strip down, clean, lubricate etc.

It will start but it will not run on/tick over.

As there is no pump on the tank, I use a piece of pipe to pressurise tank and fuel flows no bother to prime the engine. Car starts but cuts out as the priming fuel is used up. I can keep the engine running by pressurising the tank via the pipe in my mouth but when I transfer to the pipe from the exhaust it cuts out, as if there's no pressure from the exhaust to the tank. Have cleaned out all the fuel and breather pipes, nipple on the exhaust etc. I can blow through the exhaust with both ends sealed and the nipple is clear. I have tested the tank cap seal in case it had perished but seal is fine.

Kinda stumped, hope someone has some ideas as to where to go with it now??

Cheers
Rob
Sounds like either there's a leaky fuel tank, or your carburetor is seized :)

Sounds like either there's a leaky fuel tank, or your carburetor is seized :)

No leak from the tank, as mentioned, I can pressurise the tank via the top breather whilst sealing the fuel pipe at the filter, there are no leaks.

Has been stripped down since coming out of hibernation, carb fully functional, all seals, valves etc checked. As also mentioned, The car will run if I pressurise the tank using my mouth, so seems like a pressurisation issue but can't figure out why.

After priming and starting are you giving it some throttle immediately? If it won't respond, my guess would be your carb isn't open enough to keep it running or the LSN is clogged.

So from what you've said the carb is clear. Seals are all good. Carb passes fuel into the combustion chamber with adequate pressure which you have to provide as the engine is apparently incapable of sucking in fuel on its own. I'm assuming you're running the engine with the air filter off so you can see inside the carb. Make sure its functioning properly because like Rolex said a clogged LSN can cause this. Flooding the engine can cause the engine to die as well. There's a lot of room for error in setting up your engine properly and once in the ball park tiny changes make big differences in how well the engine will run. Don't know if its been asked and answered but have you set the needles back to factory settings? 1mm gap set for carb slide and sure it always returns to the gap you set (smoothly)?

No leak from the tank, as mentioned, I can pressurise the tank via the top breather whilst sealing the fuel pipe at the filter, there are no leaks.

Has been stripped down since coming out of hibernation, carb fully functional, all seals, valves etc checked. As also mentioned, The car will run if I pressurise the tank using my mouth, so seems like a pressurisation issue but can't figure out why.
Sorry, misread the question. Try checking the silicone exhaust coupling or if you want, check your engine block and bearings :)