The robmob Losi 5ive-T

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin good. You need a Super Bee on that beast.
I'm just adding a few hopups to my 5IVE this week.

DarkSoul finned center diff housing. This awesome piece of machine work really cools down the center diff and front drive cup by 30-40 degrees. If you own a 5ive, you know how hot that center front drive cup can get due to the extreme angle of the front shaft.

I also have DarkSoul front and rear aluminum diff cup housings installed.

111a11a006.jpg

All the new bling looks great Rob.

"Bling"

LOL

...This awesome piece of machine work really cools down the center diff and front drive cup by 30-40 degrees...

Hey Rob do you have any before and after temp pictures? That's a huge improvement in temperature, just surprised it'd be that huge for something without much airflow.

I did not take any pics since all I was doing was confirming results.

There is actually a lot of air flow to that area on the 5ive and the aluminum is acting like a heat sink instead of trapping the heat like the stock plastic housing does.

I ran this setup over the weekend and confirmed a significant drop in center diff temps. My runs consisted of about 20 minutes of asphalt parking lot back and forth speed runs. My run with the stock setup was done last weekend when ambient was about 10 degrees cooler. Clearly the center diff works as advertised in addition to looking bad ass.

Stock Diff Housing: 145 degrees
Front Cup: 165 degrees

DarkSoul Diff Housing: 110 degrees
Front Cup: 130 degrees

That's awesome results and a huge improvement. DarkSoul makes some very sweet items!

Update of parts added...

DarkSoul vented clutch housing to go along with the vented carrier. I modded a Turtle Racing bump stop to work with the carrier.
111001.jpg

111002.jpg

Turtle V2 pull start
1111aadfa001.jpg

Losi aluminum front top plate. I removed the anodize and gave it a little polish.
1111aadfa002.jpg

Team FastEddy servo saver nuts
1111aadfa004.jpg

FullKill RC throttle linkage
1111aadfa005.jpg

Team Chase front skid (sorry for the blurry ass pic)
1111aadfa003.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

This past Saturday I went out to the track for a few hours of practice. Ended up putting 2.5 tanks through the rig before my front CV joint took a dump ending my day.

Took some pics after I got home.

Chase front skid is finished. I won't be replacing it with a new one. Better to just run without. I am very happy with the Chase rear skid though.
DSC03025.jpg

Right front drive shaft exploded.
DSC03026.jpg

Something FastEddy pointed out to me regarding the front center shaft. After 2 gallons, there is minimal wear on the pin or cup. Anybody who owns a 5ive knows that this is a high wear spot and it's unusual that mine doesn't show more wear.
DSC03028.jpg

DSC03029.jpg

I'm very happy running the DarkSoul open carrier setup. I am on my original clutch shoes and they still have a lot of meat left on the bones.
DSC03027.jpg

Some shiny shiz! Looks sweet.

Looks fantastic, I almost forgot about this rig thread. Great job :D

These showed up today.
1111111001.jpg

Less than 5 minutes later I had the front one installed. I will install the rear when I do maintenance on the diffs later.
1111111003.jpg

All ready for another day at the track.
1111111004.jpg

Got the DarkSoul dual steering servo setup installed and ready to run.

DSC03052.jpg

The stock single servo setup just doesn't cut it on the track. It will start to fade at about the 15 minute mark and make getting around the corners a challenge.

New shoes (ProLine Blockade's) all mounted up with Hostile rings. I'll be trying them out on the track this Sat.

DSC03053.jpg

Very nice my friend! It is hard to get an idea of how large this truck is by the pics! It looks like it is pretty easy to work with too!

What's wrong with this picture?

DSC03079.jpg

Hinge pins are a tad under 1/4" in diameter and I managed to bend one of my front ones. LOL

---------- Post added at 7:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:45 AM ----------

A little update on the dual steering servo setup. It is by far the best upgrade for the 5ive one can do.

The single servo just isn't up to the task for such a heave 4WD truck. I am now able to whip the truck around the corners as if it's on rails which suits my driving style.

What's wrong with this picture?

DSC03079.jpg

Hinge pins are a tad under 1/4" in diameter and I managed to bend one of my front ones. LOL

---------- Post added at 7:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:45 AM ----------

A little update on the dual steering servo setup. It is by far the best upgrade for the 5ive one can do.

The single servo just isn't up to the task for such a heave 4WD truck. I am now able to whip the truck around the corners as if it's on rails which suits my driving style.

Wow... the pic doesn't do the size of this rig. 1/4 in. hinge pins... thats sick!

Do you have any new pictures? I'm dying to see how those prolines look on the truck.

I just finished servicing the diffs and shocks over the weekend and got it all put back together. I even managed to band-aid the body back together so it should last another race day.

I will throw the Blockades on there and snap a pic.

I just finished servicing the diffs and shocks over the weekend and got it all put back together. I even managed to band-aid the body back together so it should last another race day.

I will throw the Blockades on there and snap a pic.

Hey rob.....was it hard to get that thing dirty for the first time after all that work put into it? I always have a hard time getting a new shiny rig dirty the first time.

Back