The old associated GT2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the newb

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys kind of new to the car side of the nitro world the other day I had an associated GT2 given to me the guy was going to throw it away because he didn't mess with it anymore. Well it had sat for about 2 years and I forgot to open the motor up and lubricate everything before I started it up, so of course it seized on me so long story short I went to tower hobbies ordered a new motor, but the motor I ordered has a slide carb instead or a rotary carb can I make this work on this car without heavy mods?

If this is already posted somewhere I am sorry I probably overlooked it, by looking to hard for it lol

Thanks in advance

You will have to swap the linkages out I am not sure how though it has been a long time since messing with a GT. Post up some pics with the engine mounted.

Yes, pics would be helpful, dependent on where things are mounted it's usually a case of altering the linkages.

Or is it possible to use the old carb on the new engine since the old one is a rotary style carb

Never mind scratch that I did some more research it want even fit in the car without new mounting blocks and everything.

Valuable lesson learned do more research before you by
Next question and this is for anyone to chime in on do you think its work the money to rebuild this car or go buy a redcat raceing car or something?

Last edited:
The GT is a reliable platform and even with it's age is still better quality then a redcat. What seized up on the original engine? Was it a tuning issue or did it lock up when you tried to start it?

honestly I don't know I should have went into it an lubed everything up before I tried to crank it but I had it running and when I pulled the igniter off it would run for a little bit respond to throttle and then just die out and the last time it died out I went to go crank it again and I flew across the yard because it locked up tighter than dicks hat band.

Could have just been vapor lock from the fuel, the Nitro fuel has it's own lubricant in it. Can you post some pics of the piston and sleeve or are they seized together.

naw I pulled the piston an sleeve apart and pulled the glow plug out still wouldn't turn so I took it inside tore the motor down and the connecting rod was snapped off the crank, there was metal shavings everywhere, and major discoloration to the outside of the sleeve. I am at work at the moment I can get a picture of the sleeve and piston when I get home if you still need it

Here you I had my wife take the pictures for me

Last edited:
Looks to have been ran lean that is for sure, I would look for a new .12 with rotary carb and go from there O.S. used to make one for the GT. By the way my daughters love your wife's fingernails.

Last edited:
ok cool deal so you thank a .12 would do good in that car it had a .15 in it i am assuming from the factory and she says thanks lol they will probably be different color tomorrow

which one do you think would be best

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBDKD&P=SM

or

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP7&P=**Missing Data**

The .12 is more than I would like to pay for a replacement engine
Really with an off road vehicle you'd want a bigger engine. So I'd go with a .15. you could go O.S, but other brands are available such as novarossi, GO engines, Picco or even Werks if you need another engine for another vehicles as they only have .21's.

I had a nitro star .15 in my last variation of the GT and it was a beast. I wouldn't go any bigger then a .15 personally the original GT came with a .12.

naw I pulled the piston an sleeve apart and pulled the glow plug out still wouldn't turn so I took it inside tore the motor down and the connecting rod was snapped off the crank, there was metal shavings everywhere, and major discoloration to the outside of the sleeve. I am at work at the moment I can get a picture of the sleeve and piston when I get home if you still need it

Here you I had my wife take the pictures for me
I had a nitro star .15 in my last variation of the GT and it was a beast. I wouldn't go any bigger then a .15 personally the original GT came with a .12.
Agreed, I was just mentioning that werks make good engines and that if you wanted to buy a .21 for a buggy, I'd also recommend them.

Ok I just don't want to spend a whole lot of money this vehicle just in case I don't like the hobby which I'm pretty sure I will love it but you know. I had to buy a new radio because the stock receiver was during an not sending power to the servos like it should. So I purchased a basic spectrum radio an receiver along with a new ful tank all new control arm because one was zip tied an that other water electrical taped together an I went ahead an purchased new clutch pads So with being with yalls opinion not going over I'd say 160$ what engine would you recommend

Tower has a weeks engine that's 169 but I have the same problem were its a slide carb

Thanks I didn't even thank to check HPI now I just have to choose because what came off this one was a .15 or at least that's what it says on the side

Both the ones I linked are .15 so either one will work.

Thanks I didn't even thank to check HPI now I just have to choose because what came off this one was a .15 or at least that's what it says on the side
Nitro star make some decent engines :)