The Great Outdoors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alpine - yeah, I can understand that.

hamz - just depends on the suspension design. They've come a long way in the past five years or so. For example, the Dave Weagle designs (DW link) actually firm up when you hammer on the pedals. I had planned on picking up a full squish bike this year, but life got in the way. Hopefully next year though.

Rained out my Tuesday ride, so I rode with the Wednesday group tonight and got my ass kicked. :D It was good though, I pushed hard, even made some climbs in the big ring. Garmin wigged out, but it was just over 18 miles. Man it's so good to be back in the saddle again, I've missed it more than I thought. Also, made a small saddle adjustment before this ride, and I'm really, really close to having true comfort on the road bike for the first time ever.

I need to change it out but I'm still riding factory seat on the cannondale. Bruised one of my testicles yesterday on my ride so I have to sit out a couple of days.

Holy crap! That's just crazy alpine. Seats are a very personal thing, what one person loves you may hate. I went through three or four before I found one I like for the road bike. Only took one swap for the mountain bikes luckily.

Couldnt sleep last night, so just decided to nut up, ice down the ole scrote, and take a ride. Rode from 0330 to a bout 0430. Had to sleep with an ice pack between my legs today though.

F88CF7C9-0BDF-475B-8715-FA452CE457D4_zps3q0pkxuh.png

Nice work alpine!

Tried a new route this evening leaving straight from the house. More climbing than my legs wanted after yesterday, but a great loop for building them up though. Set a new top speed PR for my road bike too. I think that's the speed I was going when I almost hit the giant mower that was mowing the road shoulders. SOB swung right out in front of me as I was going to pass him. Glad I opted for discs on the new road bike. :D

ATTACH]
GarageRide_zpsusyff8jy.jpg

Attachments

• GarageRide_zpsusyff8jy.jpg
    GarageRide_zpsusyff8jy.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 40
My experiences back in the dark ages of on-road bikes was that they tended be a bit squirelly over a 40 mph. And as you discovered, nobody sees you even wearing day-glo colors...

They've come a long ways hamz, you can pick your geometry based on what you want. Now, don't get me wrong, if you go for all out race geometry then yes they can be dicey. But my bike is endurance geometry, you give up a bit of the quick handling so that it's rock solid at that speed. Not to mention more comfortable for the average guy.

The mower guy was in front of me, he couldn't have seen me, not his fault really but still they should be required to have rear view mirrors or something. Sucked building all that speed only to have to cram on the binders and start over.

Mine was a touring bike, a Specialized Stump Jumper. I guess having all of my school books for college in the panniers didn't help things, though... lol

I've been off the bikes for a bit, and made it a point to get back into my routine this past week. After three road rides to get my legs back under me, I hit Tsali yesterday. It was hot and humid as hell yesterday, and I really struggled some since it's been a while, but man was it great to be back out there.

Tuesday's storms must have been worse at Tsali than they were here. Also the trails overall are in need of some TLC, they're really grown up.

P1030124%20Large_zpswqa4l70d.jpg

Took a short lunch break here, not a lot of people bother coming up here, so it's usually quiet and peaceful.

photo_zpsifjaatm7.jpg

I always to the overlook, never get tired of the view

P1030129%20Large_zpsd4w8uzky.jpg

The little store on the way home has started carrying some awesome post ride snacks!

photo%201_zpsyrvrjcnu.jpg

Grabbed some street tacos on the way home for dinner, delicious!

photo%202_zpszkpt0rpk.jpg

Washed down with one of these from my random build a six pack, not bad.

photo%203_zps9ox39xci.jpg

I reluctantly agreed to lead tonight's road ride due to not having much seat time this year, and it turned out to be my strongest yet this season, go figure. Still pushing hard, and seeing improvement every ride. Made some climbs in the big ring tonight for the first time ever. Good stuff, taking the SS fattie to Tsali tomorrow. :thumbs-up:

GroupRide_zpsgkxxomsg.jpg

Now that I have some miles under my belt, I decided it was time to dust of the single speeds and ramp things up a notch on whipping my ass back into shape. Headed to Tsali again today, this time on the SS fattie, and Mouse and Thompson loops. I ran Thompson CW and Mouse CCW, Lots of downed trees from last weeks storm, and lots and LOTS of suffering today. My legs were toast three miles from the truck, I just literally had nothing left to give, but had to anyway. Besides, I like food and beer more than sleeping in the trail. LOL

Stream crossing on Thompson, good place to soak down you're gear when it's 90deg out

P1030132%20Large_zpsqcehlisi.jpg

Found this tree that had been hit by lightning

P1030137%20Large_zpsfkgopovn.jpg

Lots of downed trees

P1030138%20Large_zpsiup8ytk1.jpg

Some just broken right off

P1030145%20Large_zpsmvf1d7ls.jpg

Lots of fun too though, I can't wait to go suffer again!

P1030141%20Large_zps6ajl4lzy.jpg

Strava

TsaliSSFattie_zps6dpqxlcc.jpg

I havent been able to ride the past week or so. My issue is I cannot ride when i get off work at 0600, because when i ride, i cannot fall asleep afterwards and am not able to get enough sleep before work. The afternoons are sitting at the high 90's and 100+ on the road with 90-95% humidity. Last time i tried it, I pushed out 10 miles and barely made it home before passing out in the shop while putting my bike up. I've been doing a lot more work in the yard just sweating it all out though to try to make up for it. I'm down to 177 lbs as of this afternoon. Almost to my 170 goal.

Yep, I can relate on both counts alpine. It was 90 here with right at 100% humidity for yesterday's ride, it stormed on the way home. Still not quite as bad as it is down there though, I remember how muggy it would be when I lived in TX, not to mention 100 or so every day in the summer.

It's a crap shoot for me on the sleep. I'll either be so drained I'll crash at 9 o'clock, or so jacked from the post exercise endorphins that I'll be up half the night. And I still have my insomnia on top of that. Last night wasn't too bad, was in bed by 12:30, up at 6. I hurt all over today though, in a good way. Now I just need about 50 more rides like that one. :D

^^LOL

Got in a road ride today with a friend, cooled off in the falls for a bit. Garmin went bonkers again, starting to think all Garmins are junk, that's my second one that records my rides half the time without screwing it up.

SatRide_zps137g9lqw.jpg

Back