The Great Outdoors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't get much better than backstrap on the pit!

^^You're making me hungry alpine!

Had a new friend talk me into bringing the single speed out to DuPont and riding with him and some friends yesterday. It was by a large margin, my hardest day on a bicycle, ever. The first couple of trails, I was struggling badly, and everyone could tell it too. Turns out, I was spinning myself crazy trying to keep up. Once I figured that out, and everyone was cool with me laying back and finding my own happy rythym, my day got a lot better. It was still a metric crap ton of suffering for me, at my fitness level. But I started smiling, laughing, etc . Pretty much everything you're supposed to be doing on a bike. And, I had fun; so much so in fact, that I can't wait to try it again. Big thanks to Kirk and Ben for being such great ride leaders and hosts, and just all around good guys to hang out with for a great ride!

Pics

I stopped here...

P1150554Large_zps3c7b2271.jpg

To take pics of the ice that was here and there

P1150555Large_zps07efcf09.jpg

I survived the climb up Cedar rock, which I never thought I could do on the SS. Kirk had more faith in me than I did myself, and told me I was stronger and could do a lot more than I thought. Turns out, he was right. Sometimes, that's all it takes is for someone to give you a little positive reinforcement, to plant that seed in your brain. Having just started riding again this year, this was a HUGE accomplishment for me personally. Thanks Kirk!

P1150559Large_zps635b1945.jpg

The group

P1150561Large_zps0f34913a.jpg

Big rock

P1150565Large_zpsd0235dc8.jpg

P1150567Large_zps2972486b.jpg

Two different access roads, somewhere, no idea

P1150558Large_zps073b1587.jpg

P1150568Large_zps607f2900.jpg

No idea how this happens, when they're frozen to the ground maybe? From High Falls parking area

P1150571Large_zps54674983.jpg

Airstrip

P1150574Large_zps07547990.jpg

P1150576Large_zps584859cd.jpg

P1150572Large_zpsc9af1b03.jpg

Strava

Strava_zps5830a47f.jpg

So I picked up a fat bike on black friday sale to try it out. It's also a single speed, took it to Tsali yesterday for it's first big ride. It was pretty wet as it had rained the previous two days, but the fat bike just railed all day with the huge footprint of the big tires. Very happy with it, and my new tires, tubes, and pedals just showed up. I shaved 3lbs for $150, that has to be a record in the cycling world.:D

P1000209Large_zps03ef22d9.jpg

Capture_zpsae8c382c.jpg

New tires

P1000220Large_zpsad466b08.jpg

And trying out some flats for winter time, which will let me wear my warm, dry hiking boots.

P1000221Large_zps3b1f4de4.jpg

Went fishing today! I caught nine but only kept two, I try to only keep what I'm going to eat.

fish2_zpsvecxa3po.jpg

fish_zpsefrvqcrx.jpg

Nice I love bass fishing! I got to wait a little over a month before the season starts up again here in Canada.

were are lucky here, we can fish all year. I never knew there was such a thing as "fishing season" until a few years ago

were are lucky here, we can fish all year. I never knew there was such a thing as "fishing season" until a few years ago

Some fish such as Perch we're allowed to fish for all year, but the best time for Perch is probably winter and I hate ice fishing! It's a shame to cause Perch is my favorite tasting fish!

First real supermoto ride in a long time. Completely trashed what was left of my tires from last season. Man it was good to get out. Finally getting back in my groove on the moto.

photo%201_zpsl4ofybym.jpg

photo%202_zpssv9yyhkk.jpg

Very nice bro, I really miss having a motorcycle.

Thanks Pete.
I've been riding on and off for 34 years, kinda hard to get it out of my system at this point. Having the roads and scenery we do is a big part of it as well. They're a lot of fun, but come with their own set of risks as well.

I've had a lot going on lately, and it's really gotten in the way of my cycling this season. But things are finally starting to get back to normal, so I got out for a nice solo ride yesterday. The quiet and solitude were really good, and I feel better today than I have in quite some time. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's group ride, and I'm still loving my new road bike.

photo%203_zps7cqbhbzc.jpg

photo%202_zps0zyklptu.jpg

photo%201_zps9cgh9rcc.jpg

Strava_zpscsbl1fie.png

Your stats made me laugh at myself! I bought a cheap bike to help strengthen my knee. I struggle to ride a mile, you rode 22 miles and your doing it again today.....I have a long way to go lol

Pete, just over a year ago I couldn't make a mile on the local (easy) MTB trails without stopping three or four times to catch my breath. You gotta start somewhere brother, and you're still outrunning everyone on the couch that sat on their asses all day. I've had some long talks with some of the older guys in our group that have been riding for longer than I've been alive, seeking advice and such. They'll all tell you that the suffering never goes away, you just get faster and therefore suffer for shorter periods of time. LOL

I wish on road riding were that easy on a full suspension setup. lol. I've been killing myself doing 10-15 mile rides around here on the road on the FS Cannondale.

Oh man, I can only imagine. I rode the single speed up to the new brewery last night, and difference is huge even on a hardtail. The road bike is a rocket ship compared to any MTB,

I've got my hard tail as well, but my wife primarily uses it when we ride together. I'd rather just get used to the FS then switch back and forth between the two.

When I bought the new bike a while back, the guys at the bike shop recommended a hard tail for me simply because the FS versions would cause me to fight with the rear suspension with every pedal stroke. I'm glad I listened to them.

Back