The Great Outdoors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chrono'd it last year at 369. Had to put down the bow due to a shoulder injury a couple years ago, and this is the only way I can hunt bow season. It really is a lot of fun to shoot though.

Do they make taser rounds for it yet, Alpine?

^^Those are nasty looking!

I'm happy to report that my tubeless conversion on the single speed is working great. Took it for it's first test ride today, running about 28F / 30R and it made a noticeable difference in ride quality on the rigid frame, and gave some added traction also. Also the local trails that I struggled on in the very beginning on my 29er, which are now super boring on the 29er, are actually pretty fun and challenging on the SS. They're pretty tight, so it suits the 650b well. I even made the climb that was my nemesis a few short months ago, took me a couple laps to make it though; damn tree crossing. :D I freaking love my SS!

I'm standing a little over half way up the climb here

climb1Medium_zpsdf83634a.jpg

Well, I survived and met my goal for my first season of road biking. I rode in the 10th annual Tour De Franklin Fall Classic charity ride yesterday, I did the 55 mile loop (technically it's only 54 :D), and here's my thoughts on my first long road bike ride. I can't say enough about the support and rest stops that the LBS and sponsors made happen. We had two SAG rigs with parts, tools, and pick up for anyone that couldn't make it, and two motorcycle riders constantly moving through the field checking on everyone. If you felt alone, or didn't get enough to eat or drink, it was your own fault. There was home cooked BBQ, pasta, meatballs, baked beans, and two different kinds of home brewed beer at the end also. Huge thanks to everyone that put forth all that effort!

I made it a point to eat very well the day before, and the morning of the ride FWIW.

First leg was around 30 miles, and I felt great all the way through it, even at the end of it. Had our second rest stop, some food and topped off my water bottles.

The second leg is downhill / flat for about 5 miles, then hits you with about a one mile grunting climb, but I still felt good. Had more climbs along the way to the final rest stop which was our turn around point. I was really starting to feel it around the 43 mile mark, another climb at the 44-45 mile mark and my left hip flexor started giving my problems, every pedal stroke hurt. By the 47-48 mile mark, my body was just done, my legs felt like lead pipes, and I wanted off that damn bike LOL. But, I put my head down and continued, and even made the final climb which was by far the worst of the day, very short but very steep, standing was the only way to get up it and you start from a stop sign with chance to get a run at it. I stayed with a guy that stopped halfway due to cramps. Other than that, I stayed right with the group I ride with on Wednesday's right up until around the 50 mile mark when I was just physically and mentally done and let them go. The physical part was tough, but honestly I think the mental part is just as bad if not worse. I'm really glad I didn't have a computer to watch, would have been worse I think. I tried having a beer afterward, and couldn't stomach it at all. Had some food and about six small glasses of gatorade and I felt immensely better, then had that beer. :D I know it's a long post, but those are my thoughts on it FWIW.

Jersey and event goodie bag

P1150115Medium_zpsd4589636.jpg

This is as high as my traps and neck would let my arms would go at the finish line :D

5db44dc7-c8ed-475e-942c-833fdd576553_zpsc88faa2a.jpg

Strava

TDF14_zps197c0333.jpg

I just finished this build over the weekend. The old single speed frame was just a bit small for me, and I never could get comfortable on it. I got in the first ride on it yesterday, and I absolutely LOVE this thing!

P1150264Large_zpse993c815.jpg

So one of my buddies took me for for yet another EPIC day in DuPont Thursday. I simply cannot get enough of this place! This was my first time on that side of the forest, and my first trip up Cedar and Big Rock. I have to say that those two for me, were beyond breathtaking. They're a bike version of a religious experience IMHO. Here's a bunch of pics. I have video, but it's going to take some time to go through it all and get it put together.

Oh yeah, the 29er hasn't been left out with the new SS build. It got a new fork, and a new gravity dropper seatpost. After this ride, I'll never have another MTB without a dropper post again, but, YMMV.

P1150345Large_zpsd7123119.jpg

P1150295Large_zpsb9b882ed.jpg

P1150313Large_zpsa02b37a5.jpg

P1150329Large_zpsa83f8e54.jpg

P1150316Large_zps39a4cd0d.jpg

P1150337Large_zps6890cc7e.jpg

P1150349Large_zps7e7af95d.jpg

P1150356Large_zpsb96ed219.jpg

P11503588Large_zps5e4335ba.jpg

P1150372Large_zps59b226a1.jpg

The goods

StravaMap_zpsb4ccd01b.jpg

Ad we ended a perfect day with Pescado's take out and live music by Eric Congdon and beers at Oskar Blues.

photo2_zps13b6d354.jpg

photo1_zps2749a2a1.jpg

That looks like it would have been a fun place to ride when I was younger and didn't look like this:

400lbman.jpg

I just started riding again yesterday. 5 miles in 24 minutes and was good for more, just didn't wanna push it. Then hiked around the hunting property today after yet another failed hunt (will explain more this evening with pictures.) and toted around 20 sacks of corn to refill all the feeders on the property. Still, even with no meat, it was another beautiful sunrise over the tree line and a cool 51 degrees. It's just great to get out of the city for a few hours. Gonna start hitting it hard the next couple weeks though both on bike and on hunts.

Glad to hear you're riding again alpine. I hate to say it, but I think I'm done with moto after this year back on the bicycle. I just don't have any interest in it anymore, not to mention the risks involved with riding on the street. It feels very weird to say it, but I think I'll sell the motorcycle in the spring when prices go back up, and buy myself a nice squishy MTB. :D

I haven't hunted in a long time, but I think I'm going to do some squirrel hunting here at the house next month once it's been cold for a bit and they're free of fleas and such.

What's wrong with fleas on squirrels? They add a bit of extra crunch and some more protein.

So i get out this morning to a perfect 48-50 degrees and walk out to the stand and get settled for around 0515 hrs. At 0700 hrs. the feeder started spinning like its supposed to, but I could not hear any corn being thrown. So..... I realized that the feeder had been empty for a few days. Joy..... So I figured nothing would be coming out since there has not been any food out for a while so I packed up my gear and climbed out at around 0730 hrs. and went back to the jeep. I rode up the road to the store and grabbed 20 50lb sacks of corn and as soon as I made the curve to approach the feeder, 7 deer ran out from the area and took off into the woods. All I could do was just sit there pissed off at myself for leaving the stand so early as I usually sit until at least 0900 hrs. I went around the property and filled all 5 feeders on the property and download all 7 cameras. Almost 5000 pictures this month. No I've been sitting my favorite stand on all of these morning hunts and have been neglecting evening hunts because i figure the heat would be keeping the deer in the woods..... WRONG AGAIN ALPINE! FML. I know where I will be wednesday evening. Most of the pics are from earlier in the month, but the are some of the best from the camera on the feeder at my stand. My only real fear is that the deer I am seeing most on the camera is the big doe with the fawn. I really really dont wanna take her. I know I'm kind of an butthead, but I really am all about wildlife conservation.

WGI_0134_zps102eb2eb.jpg

WGI_0289_zps31445bbd.jpg

WGI_1223_zps792ed78a.jpg

There's nothing wrong with conservation alpine, and good on you for doing it.

My new wheels showed up, skipping my normal single speed ride tomorrow to try them out.

Stan's Flow EX 29'ers laced to Hope pro2 EVO SP hubs with Sapim race spokes. Can't wait to ride 'em tomorrow!

P1150404copy_zpsf7f4bf19.jpg

P1150409copy_zps28cf6d25.jpg

P1150410copy_zpsb98e31d9.jpg

Back