The BOOK Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a slow reader so I prefer audio books...does that count? I'm listening to "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams. IDk exactly what genre you would call this but it is described by the author on its cover as a "thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic".

Finished "Locked On" by Tom Clancy. Great Jack Ryan/Jack Ryan, Jr. novel.

Started reading Kevin Smith's Tough Sh*t: Life Advice From a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good. It's really entertaining and educational.

I wondered if it was any good. They had him on the cbs morning show talking about it a while back.

Just finished, I am Number Four, really good but the movie blows!

I just finished American Sniper, I thought it was pretty good but I enjoy non fiction, biographies, true crime type of books.

My girlfriend has all these dystopian theme books you guys are talking about the divergent series, legend series, hunger games series, delirium series,unwind series, matched series. I thought they were women sappy books, but if you guys like them maybe I'll give them a try. But first I got a couple of Tom Robbins books I got to start.

---------- Post added at 5:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:31 PM ----------

I just started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which oddly enough has zero to do with the maintenance part. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I also picked up the first three books in the Game of Thrones series to start on at a later date. I'll report back on Zen when I'm finished.

Great thread idea SNG!

Oh I forgot, how did you like Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance? I started it got bored with it, started it and put it down never picked it up again. I just couldn't get into it.
I kept reading about how it was such a good philosophical novel but I just couldn't get into it, maybe I'll try again.

My girlfriend has all these dystopian theme books you guys are talking about the divergent series, legend series, hunger games series, delirium series,unwind series, matched series. I thought they were women sappy books, but if you guys like them maybe I'll give them a try. But first I got a couple of Tom Robbins books I got to start.

Thats my favorite type of book now is dystopian. Hunger games was excellent, got my dad and my sister the series for Christmas and they both love them and my dad is a 62 year old nothing but western book reader.

Divergent, to me, is better, just wish the third book was out.

Maze Runner series is also excellent. Seems silly at first but then gets real good.

Most of them have lots of violence, with some romance.

Unwind, also good, again though, waiting on the third book. Waiting on book 2 of Legend, it was pretty good too.

doesn't matter to me who they are aimed at audience wise, they are so easy to get into usually and keep you going, not too much dead space in any of those.

Ask your girl friend how the Matched series compares in her opinion. I've always passed it up, same with the Uglies series.

If you're reading Dystopian stuff, don't forget the father of it all: William Gibson. Mirror Shades is great.

I'll throw it on my list Hamz.

The third Divergent book is out, apparently it was in the bookstore on the weekend we prefer to get are books online. Shipping is free and the books are cheaper, the second Legend book is out to, I know this cause she's reading it right now.
She says the Matched series is a mix of Divergent and Delirium, so I guess that's good.

Another classic is Robert Heinlein's Friday.

Threads a little old but oh well.

I just finished In Harms Way, by Doug Stanton.
I 100% recommend it. It's the story of the USS InIndianapolis, crazy almost unreal story but is in fact true.

Isn't it about the Cruiser that delivered the first atomic bomb and its return trip?

Isn't it about the Cruiser that delivered the first atomic bomb and its return trip?

No @hamz9561 the USS Indianapolis was shot by a Japanese submarine. Had 1196 men on board and after being bombed and a crazy horrible 4 almost 5 days in the water floating waiting for help, only 316 were still alive. The wait in the water is a big part of the book, so much happens.

Ah ok, I dont remember if that was in the beginning of the book or not actually. Good to know though.

I'm currently reading the NIV Bible cover to cover. You either like it or you dont :p

I'm also re-reading Restaurant At The End Of The Universe by Douglas Adams. Its book two of a five book series called The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. Its Sci-Fi/Comedy and these are among some of my all time favorite books ever :) If you like these then Id also highly recommend checking out just about anything else he has done although these I think are his best work.

Odd I didnt remember but now I do lol, the book starts with the Indy getting back to the US after that mission. The ship is supposed to undergo a bunch of work do to damage from that voyage but gets the orders to head out anyways.

Odd I didnt remember but now I do lol, the book starts with the Indy getting back to the US after that mission. The ship is supposed to undergo a bunch of work do to damage from that voyage but gets the orders to head out anyways.
It was also supposed to have a destroyer for anti-submarine duties. The navy knew that there were subs on the route that the Indiana was due to take because of MAGIC radio intercepts.

Back