tamiya tnx shuts off everytime i come to a complete stop or when i turn and get ready to accelerate

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielcc1989

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So i bought my first rc nitro truck. Used of course but well taken care of. Any ways i brought it home it fired right up and messed with it for a while and retuned it just so i can have the right tuning. I did it i ran it again after about 7 tanks later it starts acting up. It stalls when idle and shuts off when i turn and get ready to accelerate. From what I've heard the tamiya tnx 3.0 is a bad a$$ truck and better than the tmaxx and a few others. I heard it can take corners well great for bashing and took first place in its races over traxxas due to its good suspension and performance. Any advice if the revo 3.3 is better than mine or if i should just drop the 5.2 fr 32fx engine into mine. I would like the revo only because of looks but performance wise would i be getting a good off road vehicle and why i should get it or why i should stick with my tamiya

Please post in the nitro rc talk section to get a reply :) also, welcome to the forum!

Sounds to me like your clutch may be dragging, cb bearings are toast or cb shims are too tight. Whenever your RPM's drop (stopping, slowing for a turn), the drag is too much for idle speeds and stops the engine.

Could also be your idle is set too low, so when you apply brakes, the carb isn't kept open enough by the set screw.

Try lifting the vehicle off the ground and letting it idle. The tires shouldn't spin (or spin very little) at idle. In the air, apply the brakes. If the engine dies, then it's either an adjustment of the idle screw or one of the above issues causing drag.

Sounds to me like your clutch may be dragging, cb bearings are toast or cb shims are too tight. Whenever your RPM's drop (stopping, slowing for a turn), the drag is too much for idle speeds and stops the engine.

Could also be your idle is set too low, so when you apply brakes, the carb isn't kept open enough by the set screw.

Try lifting the vehicle off the ground and letting it idle. The tires shouldn't spin (or spin very little) at idle. In the air, apply the brakes. If the engine dies, then it's either an adjustment of the idle screw or one of the above issues causing drag.
Agreed- I had a similar problem and the clutch spring had gone.

Back