T-Maxx engine keeps turning over

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogg4ya

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all, I'm new to the forums but I've been upgrading my truck for a while. My latest upgrade was to the new 3.3 traxxas engine.

My engine keeps turning over and won't start. At first my easy start wouldn't turn so I bought a tiger drive and I'm using my drill to turn it. I've put in a new glow plug, gas tank, and fuel lines. From what I can see so gas is getting into the engine. If I hold the exhaust hole the gas does not move up to the engine. The guy as the shop also told me he shouldn't be able to turn the flywheel with his finger. So I guess I'm losing compression somewhere and I can't find where. I put my old 2.5 engine back in and the problem remains? I haven't had my 3.3 even started yet. Any Ideas?

Thanks for your help! This can be so frustrating some days...

Make sure the needle settings are set to factory. Try heating the head with a hair drier. Make sure the ignitor battery's good and charged. Make sure the tank cap is sealed good. Just some ideas for ya; I feel your frustration. You'll get 'er.

just to add a couple more things to look at,check the pressure line from the exhaust to the tank and the coupler between the header and pipe. and then continue downstream to the tank and fuel line,then carb.good luck hope u get it running.

If the problem remains after swaping out the engines, then you might want to do a pressure check of your fuel system. I just pull off the line form the carb and the line from the exhaust, and pinch the carb line and blow into the exhaust line as hard as I can. If the tank lid is geting weak it will pop and if you leave a little fuel in the tank if the carb line is leaking it will come out. The only thing that it doesn't really tell you is where a leak in the tank might be. you didn't tell us if you were using the same carb or pipe on both engines or a different one.

There seem to be a LOT of hobby shop guys who don't know anything about the RC engines. You SHOULD be able to turn it with your finger, just not in a full rotation. If you can turn it side to side that's normal. Once you get part way into the compression stroke you won't be able to turn it any more.

With that info, what does it do?

thanks guys, I'll try all those suggestions tonight! My fuel tank is brand new along with the fuel lines. I use the carb that came on the engine and I've never taken a carb or engine completely apart. I can turn the flywheel halfway then it starts getting hard. I am also missing the little washer that goes on before the C washer on the clutch bell, that wouldn't cause it would it? I'll check the couplers for the hoses, I've never checked those. Also what is the screw that is on the exhaust bag supposed to be set at? Flush?

are you talking about the bue boot where the thottle linkage is? if it is,that is your lsn that should be flush for factory setting.

I thought the lsn was the silver screw on the carb and the hsn was the big black adjustment coming out of the carb. I'll set it to flush and try it.

the little silver screw is your idle screw the top one is hsn the screw that is on the slide carb is you lsn. good luck and hopee that helped

make sure you drill is in reverse if you have the one way bearing set corectly thats what happens to me the first couple of times

ok, so I tested the airflow in the fuel lines and it was pretty hard to blow air into the carb. I loosened the brass nut and let the fuel line spout turn a little. I also set the screw on the blue boot to flush. I was then able to get some gas going to the carb by priming it. I think I set the screws to factory defaults. It still turns over and only spit a few times, I tried changing the screw adjustments but I couldn't get it to spit constantly.

So there are three adjustments? right?

blue boot screw
little silver screw on carb
big black adjustment coming out of the top of the carb

I got my drill going the right way, clockwise it just spins without turning the engine on my tiger drive attachment. We're making progress, I never heard it spit before even if it was just for a split second.

ok, so I tested the airflow in the fuel lines and it was pretty hard to blow air into the carb. I loosened the brass nut and let the fuel line spout turn a little. I also set the screw on the blue boot to flush. I was then able to get some gas going to the carb by priming it. I think I set the screws to factory defaults. It still turns over and only spit a few times, I tried changing the screw adjustments but I couldn't get it to spit constantly.

So there are three adjustments? right?

blue boot screw
little silver screw on carb
big black adjustment coming out of the top of the carb

I got my drill going the right way, clockwise it just spins without turning the engine on my tiger drive attachment. We're making progress, I never heard it spit before even if it was just for a split second.

ok factory settings are 4 turns out on the big back screw (hsn) flush on the blue boot (lsn) and if you pull air cleaner neck with no throttle applied slide should be about the thickness of a credit card. now what is it doing when you turn it over? does it sound like it wants to start or does it just spin?

the other little silver screw on carb you are referring to is probably your idle screw screw it in to raise idle and out to lower idle, but be carefull you don' have i in so far it takes off when you crank it

thanks Doug, I think I finally get all the screws. Now its turning over and getting gas, it even spit a couple times but I can't get it to constantly spit like it would before it starts. Would that be the idle screw?