T-maxx classic to 4908 tranny swap Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whtbrokenow

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey so I have an old T-Maxx 4910 classic that is almost closer to a 4907 at this point haha. Anyways I blew up my old black tranny on the new 3.3 engine and am thinking about swapping up to the new tranny.

My question is will the new tranny bolt up to the old frame without clearance issues (minus shaving the new 3.3 center shafts to fit)?

And did they change the gear ratios in the diffs from the older tmaxx's to the new ones if so will it be a problem?

Thanks!!

The newer tranny will fit with no real problems. However the center front shaft is a good bit wider than the old style and I had to make a cut out in the chassis plate to let the new drive-line fit. Doing that I lost a screw-hole on the throttle/brake servo bracket. The strange thing is it is actually lower geared than the old black case. Those were the only real issues I ran into.

Thanks for the quick responce!
I was wondering about that, So you had to widen the opening in the chassis to fit the front shaft u joint?

Btw figured out what was wrong with my old 2.5 tranny. In your opinion was it worth switching?

My old 2.5 tranny has reverse. Thing is I have my truck completely broke down right now cause I was changing all the cv shafts and knuckles over so I wanna swap while it's convinient if it's worth it. Plus I found a brand new 4907 tmaxx tranny with the brake set up and slipper clutch included for $38..

That isn't bad. A forward only conversion costs about $12 shipped. I found mine of ebay.

Yea hobby shop near by told me the 3.3 can rip out the gears in some of the old tmaxx trannys as well as spin the cv shafts etc so I decided to upgrade some stuff.

Back