T maxx Big block conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same Project

After mocking up the tranny yesterday I did have to move the motor back. Now all I have to do is wait for the Cb and flywheel assembly to get here as well as a few other small parts. Found out that I had lost the brake parts so I had to order new ones... MORE waiting. Damn... I jsut remembered I need a set of crystals...... does the small crap EVER end???!!! I'm ready to hear this thing purr.. It will still be next weekend or so b4 I can officially start it. I have to wait on my check to order a pipe. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is a good tuned pipe that will fit a HPI K 4.6? I ordered shocks off ebay and they were the wrong ones. I believe they are for an 1/8 scale truck. They like 2 inches from mounting up. :angry: However my friend ordered a set for his truck and I "stole" his stock ones. After changing the shock oil in his old stock shocks they work better then the new ones he recieved. I thought that was funny. They old ones are super stout. I'm also waiting on the new spur gear I ordered from rc solutions. HMM come to think about it.. it should have been here already. Guess Ill wait and see what comes in the mail. Well sorry so long. Guess I'm bored. Still need a suggestion on the pipe.

Hi i am doing this same upgrade. I bought the hpi k4.6 with a JP4 pipe. I made my own chassis extension blocks. My extension measures 1 3/8 give or take 1/32. What cb, center drives, and diffs are you using?:)

After mocking up the tranny yesterday I did have to move the motor back. Now all I have to do is wait for the Cb and flywheel assembly to get here as well as a few other small parts. Found out that I had lost the brake parts so I had to order new ones... MORE waiting. Damn... I jsut remembered I need a set of crystals...... does the small crap EVER end???!!! I'm ready to hear this thing purr.. It will still be next weekend or so b4 I can officially start it. I have to wait on my check to order a pipe. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is a good tuned pipe that will fit a HPI K 4.6? I ordered shocks off ebay and they were the wrong ones. I believe they are for an 1/8 scale truck. They like 2 inches from mounting up. :angry: However my friend ordered a set for his truck and I "stole" his stock ones. After changing the shock oil in his old stock shocks they work better then the new ones he recieved. I thought that was funny. They old ones are super stout. I'm also waiting on the new spur gear I ordered from rc solutions. HMM come to think about it.. it should have been here already. Guess Ill wait and see what comes in the mail. Well sorry so long. Guess I'm bored. Still need a suggestion on the pipe.

Also which motor mounts?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPNK3&P=SM (center dirveshafts)
On the dif I'm planning on putting a spool in it with robinson gears as well.

The CB I'm using is an HPI extra hard 17T. I had planned on going with a 18T. I may get one if I dont like the outcome of the gear ratio. I also had to get a special spur gear for the tranny from rc solutions. The pitch on the HPI CB is 1M. If you look in the first couple posts on this thread Rolex posted the link to get to them. They are available in a 54 and a 52T. When you recieve it there will be a gear ratio chart included with the gear. I dont know the name of the engine mount. It cam with the chassis. However if I had to explain it I would say its the slide kind. The nuts have a slot they go in that keeps them from turning. THen you can adjust where the motor actually sits in accordance to your tranny. I felt this was very helpful in stead of having the kind that merely bolts straight down. Gives you some leway. Kinda forginving in a way. I think you can see it in one of the pics I posted.

Got more parts today. Its like christmas in Feburary! well gonna put the parts in. Hope to be running by the weekend

I'm not. Lessen give me address for a guy who does custom driveshafts. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Is your rear center axle currently plastic? I think New Era was one of the few kits that had a plastic slider. XTM and Dynamite both had steel cvd's.

Ok heres a lil update on the progress after working on it for about 4 hours. I had to take the engine on and off about 4 times. I also how to make to hole for the flywheel a little bigger for it to fit. Took a while to get the gears to mesh up. But it spins good now. After that I found out that I had the rear diff in wrong and it was in reverse. DUH so I had to disassemble the rear end to flip it over. Now its running right. I'm going to post pics of the after assemble. I'm almost outta allowed upload for the site. I plan on becoming a supporter later this week. Maybe that will change my upload limits. I'm waiting on an order from tower hobbie and then I'm going to run down to my LHS and grab a pipe! I still dont know what one I'm going to use yet. I also need a failsafe. Which one hit the brakes? I'm leaning toward a venom. Comments or suggestions?

Thats what my driveshaft looks like but thats not my chassis. My chassis has a relief cut made in it for the flywheel. That one is close though

His is a solid pan chassis. Not cut out. That's why I was ignoring the HCR one. But it does have the plastic axle as well. Too bad HCR is pretty much out of the RC business. They made nice stuff.

This is Racers Edge's chassis:
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCE4995CS

It has a cut out for the flywheel. Can't find the shaft anywhere though.

That is REALLY close. I dont have that many holes for mounting, but mine does have holes drilled to move the t/b servo to the side of the engine. Could possibly be that mine is an older version of the racers edge chassis. Thats a really cheap chassis though. I was looking the FLM chassis. Those are beautiful chassis's. I'm really going to consider getting one of those. I get to go back to work next week for 8 weeks, so Ill be looking for some sweet upgrades. :D

Ok so I received more parts today in the mail finally. Of course only to find out that I need a couple more parts of course. I had to install a bellcrank post for the throttle linkage in order to have the new slide carb on the big motor to work. I hooked all the pieces to the linkage up and set the post close. By holding it with one hand and operating the throttle with the other hand it gave me an idea of where I had to set it. Since there were no previous holes there I had to scribe 3 lines around the edge of the post to where I wanted it to set. I measured out the bottom dowel on the post and drilled the chassis. Success. Went together perfectly and works like a charm. When the throttle is wide open so is the carb, when the throttle is off back to idle position. I couldnt have asked for a better fit. I recieved my brake parts also only to find out that I have to go buy the tranny yolk with the longer grub screw so it will hold the brake adapter on. I'm going back to work this week so Ill have to get them when I pick up my new tuned pipe on Friday. It WILL be running this weekend. I can't wait to break this thing in and see what it will do. It ought to haul a$$. I'm prolly going to rebuild the diffs just to be on the safe side. Again I have taken pics. I guess I'm goign to see if I can remember my photobucket password so Ill put the pics up there and then link them to the site. I'm almost outta upload mb. Just wanted to update those that are watching this thread. There are a few that said they were considering this build.

hipluther001

HPIM1200.jpg

This is where I had to drill for the post.

New parts
HPIM1183.jpg

motor and tranny mocked up. Since I didnt have a dremel I had to take a hammer and beat the flywheel relief back so that the motor would spin freely
HPIM1185.jpg

Here is the new HPI right after I got it.
HPIM1172.jpg

Here is the cross braces and skid plate that I bought and am not going to use. I actually found the original one that was one it. The friend of my friend who originally had the truck found the first ones. They are in rough shape though.
HPIM1175.jpg

Lookin' good bro.

Get yourself a Dremel though. It's like the single most valuable investment you'll ever make in this hobby.

Lookin' good bro.

Get yourself a Dremel though. It's like the single most valuable investment you'll ever make in this hobby.

Yeah I know. Prolly going to go get one next weekend. Ill have my income tax check by then. I'm REALLY debating on getting one of those racer's edge chassis. Those things are HOT HOT HOT!! That or Ill break this all back down and paint it what ever color I want. Kinda for a custom kinda thing. You can do all kinds of things with some trim tape and airbrush gun!

Here is the top side where the post is mounted
HPIM1201.jpg

You could have mounted the servo right there in front of the fuel tank and just ran the linkage directly to the carb.

Back