T-Maxx 3.3 vs. Revo 3.3 which is better

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidpain

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK everyone the day is here on friday i get either a T-Maxx 3.3 or a Revo 3.3
now the thing is i want power and speed on and off road but also want low matience as low as possible, would be nice. this will be my 1st running nitro and i only know as much as i read of this great site, but still very new to the hobby so i turn to you.:bow:

Simply put, for straight bashing at low cost, I would go with the Maxx, but if you are willing to deviate from Traxxas trucks, buy a Savage. They are MUCH more durable than any Traxxas truck.

The Revo is built more for racing and if you want to try drag racing your friends alot or like on-road and driving at the local RC track, then I would go with that.

The Maxx used to have some problems with pieces like bulkheads and weak transmissions but those have been addressed in the new version.

the bulks are still exactly the same just a different color

the bulks are still exactly the same just a different color

They did add some reinforcement but not where I always break mine.

The Revo will do everthing the Maxx does but better.Its stronger and performs better.The new Max with exteneded chassis and larger tires(make sure you get the newest version if you go max)has many improvements to an old design.It looks like a good basher like the savage but a Revo will run cicles around it.The Revo is more $ but worth it.They added some things to the new Revo 3.3 also(make sure you get the newest version).Both are improved,both great fun,parts support and upgrades are great with Traxxas.

If you plan to race ever I would go Revo and recommend you fork out the dough for a platinum and a 2.4 spektum receiver/transmitter and your done.Oh you would need a starter box also but for the $950.00 your done go have fun.Thge regular 3.3 is race capable also but you will upgrade if you get into it ($$$).It would cost you over a grand to build a platinum buying parts from traxxas.

Last edited:
I definitely reccomend the revo over the T-Maxx hands down, but if you're going to be bashing and you don't want to be replacing a lot of parts, go with the HPI Savage. The Revo is better suited for racing and handles better, but the traxxas stuff is a lot more prone to breaking parts when running them. I haven't seen anything that comes close to the durability of the Savage except the HPI Baja, and that's a whole nother animal in itself.

the new 3.3 revo is a good platform and is by far the most versitile truck I've used (i have the old 2.5r) great truck and a solid platform to go in whatever direction you would like

If I were making that choice again I'd certainly go Revo. My coworker told me to get a Revo the first time and I should have listened to him.

The Revo is a much better design than the Maxx and it handles better (drove his afterwards...... DOH!). It will still bash just as well but not break as often and drive better in the mean time. The Revo design reflects the "next generation" while the T-Maxx is "last generation".

From what I've gathered, the Savage is very durable but doesn't handle nearly as well so it depends on what's important to you. I've inspected (but not driven) the Savage and it's built like a tank.

My other consideration would be the Associated MGT 8.0

Simply put, for straight bashing at low cost, I would go with the Maxx, but if you are willing to deviate from Traxxas trucks, buy a Savage. They are MUCH more durable than any Traxxas truck.

The Revo is built more for racing and if you want to try drag racing your friends alot or like on-road and driving at the local RC track, then I would go with that.

The Maxx used to have some problems with pieces like bulkheads and weak transmissions but those have been addressed in the new version.
I have to disagree on the Revo. I have had a Revo 3.3 and i now have a Tmaxx 3.3 and the Maxx would rape the Revo hands down. On top of that i race 3 Revo 3.3 and 2 other Tmaxx and 9 out of 10 times the Maxx wins. Revo shock placement is garbage and they constantly break or fly off (good luck finding the springs) the Bulk heads are trash and the rear exhaust causes issues with tuning it and snaps easily when bashing. Don't get me wrong it handles but with the right spring setup on the Tmaxx like stated earlier they scream past the Revos. I have a buddy who does have a sick Revo but he has put over a grand just into the trucks main suspension and drivetrain to get it to stay competitive as it constantly would break a bulk head, A Arm, or Shock when crashed. Mt Tmaxx i have put it through alot of bashing and the most i change is a spur gear here and there or if i hit hard maybe a A Arm. Never had to replace a single shock, Shock tower, Bulk Head or Drivetrain. But again i have the Big Bore Shocks on Beast also. In the end everyone will tell youy Revo because it seems more updated but its the longevity and amount of run time that means most to me. Oh and the Maxx out runs the Revo also except James Revo as he has a .21 which beast is about to have a Adam Drake OFNA Jamming .21 JPX so he is about to go down soon lol. Just saying maybe not believe all the hype until you've seen them both in HARD action. Hope this helps and both trucks rock its just about what you want and how much you want to work on the truck. I have been in Nitro for over 15 years and have owned 1 Revo, 1 Stampede (battery powered... pukes) and my Beast my Tmaxx. I can say i won't have to buy another truck having Beast. Thanks

I have to disagree on the Revo. I have had a Revo 3.3 and i now have a Tmaxx 3.3 and the Maxx would rape the Revo hands down. On top of that i race 3 Revo 3.3 and 2 other Tmaxx and 9 out of 10 times the Maxx wins. Revo shock placement is garbage and they constantly break or fly off (good luck finding the springs) the Bulk heads are trash and the rear exhaust causes issues with tuning it and snaps easily when bashing. Don't get me wrong it handles but with the right spring setup on the Tmaxx like stated earlier they scream past the Revos. I have a buddy who does have a sick Revo but he has put over a grand just into the trucks main suspension and drivetrain to get it to stay competitive as it constantly would break a bulk head, A Arm, or Shock when crashed. Mt Tmaxx i have put it through alot of bashing and the most i change is a spur gear here and there or if i hit hard maybe a A Arm. Never had to replace a single shock, Shock tower, Bulk Head or Drivetrain. But again i have the Big Bore Shocks on Beast also. In the end everyone will tell youy Revo because it seems more updated but its the longevity and amount of run time that means most to me. Oh and the Maxx out runs the Revo also except James Revo as he has a .21 which beast is about to have a Adam Drake OFNA Jamming .21 JPX so he is about to go down soon lol. Just saying maybe not believe all the hype until you've seen them both in HARD action. Hope this helps and both trucks rock its just about what you want and how much you want to work on the truck. I have been in Nitro for over 15 years and have owned 1 Revo, 1 Stampede (battery powered... pukes) and my Beast my Tmaxx. I can say i won't have to buy another truck having Beast. Thanks
I wouldnt call it hype. In the past, during the early days of ROAR Monster Truck racing The REVO was pretty much the dominating force on the scene back then because of its more truggy like stance. I'm not sure if you are referring to a different form of MT racing or what but in regard to doing laps around a track I have a hard time seeing how a TMAXX is going to beat a REVO "hands down" if all things were equal. :2cents:

I wouldnt call it hype. In the past, during the early days of ROAR Monster Truck racing The REVO was pretty much the dominating force on the scene back then because of its more truggy like stance. I'm not sure if you are referring to a different form of MT racing or what but in regard to doing laps around a track I have a hard time seeing how a TMAXX is going to beat a REVO "hands down" if all things were equal. :2cents:
Depends alot on the operator also I suppose. I can see a difference with skilled and non skilled drivers also. Most of the guys I run with are experienced for the most part. We do run track and we also run open free roam. But between us all my Tmaxx and the built Revo usually are close. I mean their both awesome trucks just can't say in my experience in what I see each weekend where Revo is better but its also a Ford Chevy kinda thing. Once you fall for one or the other its difficult to sway the opinion. Thats why i feel lucky to run with a mix of them because we get to see the best of both worlds. Only advantage i really see with revo is its wider stance. It does give a slight edge in handling. But then again with Beast for instance I have my shocks set so the suspension gives a good amount allowing the truck to turn right along with the Revos. But we can all agree that either is money well spent. Also anyone can dump money into either and make them whatever you want them to be. I just love the sport and the hobby as a whole. So glad to be a part of this forum where we have so many enthusiastic RC guys because for a while I felt me and my group were becoming the last of the Nitro guys.

Back