Swapping out nitro engines

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggy_will

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi guys, I have a duratrax 835B 1/8 nitro buggy, and interested in putting a racing engine into it, what all do I need to know before ordering and installing a different engine, the questions I have are can I put a different brand engine in there or does it have to be duratrax and also how hard is it really to do, I am in the auto repair business and pretty handy with my hands when it comes to anything with an engine but I am new to the nitro rc world so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should be able to fit just about any BB engine into it. If you want a racing engine then you need to look at high rpm .21 engines. Make sure that the engine has the same type of start method (bump, pullstart, etc), and make sure if has the same type of carb (slide vs rotary), and make sure that the exhaust port is the same shape and location as the stock engine for the best compatibility. It is possible to change these things but can make it more complicated to complete the task. Oh, also make sure the crank shaft length is the same. that part isnt changeable although I've personally nto seen many engines that use the shorter crankshafts. To be honest I'm not even sure why there are a handful that have that. Well, thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Hi guys, I have a duratrax 835B 1/8 nitro buggy, and interested in putting a racing engine into it, what all do I need to know before ordering and installing a different engine, the questions I have are can I put a different brand engine in there or does it have to be duratrax and also how hard is it really to do, I am in the auto repair business and pretty handy with my hands when it comes to anything with an engine but I am new to the nitro rc world so any help would be greatly appreciated.
well whats your price range what are u wanting to get out of this new engine?

What is a BB engine?

You should be able to fit just about any BB engine into it. If you want a racing engine then you need to look at high rpm .21 engines. Make sure that the engine has the same type of start method (bump, pullstart, etc), and make sure if has the same type of carb (slide vs rotary), and make sure that the exhaust port is the same shape and location as the stock engine for the best compatibility. It is possible to change these things but can make it more complicated to complete the task. Oh, also make sure the crank shaft length is the same. that part isnt changeable although I've personally nto seen many engines that use the shorter crankshafts. To be honest I'm not even sure why there are a handful that have that. Well, thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

I am looking to get into racing some local sportsman series races, I really wouldn't want to spend more than $300

BB = big block. It's a standard for the bolt spacing on the engine basically. Look into Werks engines, or a Hyper .21. The hyper engine is verrrry tight so it's difficult to start breaking in initially but it's a very cheap and very fast mill. I run it in my buggy, with a Werks B2 in my truggy.

i=
Hi guys, I have a duratrax 835B 1/8 nitro buggy, and interested in putting a racing engine into it, what all do I need to know before ordering and installing a different engine, the questions I have are can I put a different brand engine in there or does it have to be duratrax and also how hard is it really to do, I am in the auto repair business and pretty hwith an engine but I am new to the nitro rc world so any help would be greatly appreciated.
i would at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Werks-R...464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4d2d0c70 great motor for the price and for pipe i would recommend http://www.ebay.com/itm/10077-In-Li...590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4aace976 to start thhis u will need a starter box any one of the first 3 will be fine http://hobbypartz.ecommerce-site-se...ACBWpRkhDam1gcnrzbg1abEj_SuJGvTRKMBoCJEfw_wcB and u can use two nimh batters are a 4cell up to uonce u in stall your buggy will be kicking