Something I've always wondered...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior4Jesus

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
The following thoughts are not in any specific order and really just a bunch of random thoughts in my head. I assume that many of you have had the same questions and maybe over the years have found answers for them so here goes.
So I'm not trying to bash on a brand or start a war but I'm curious about why companies like traxxas can mass produce a bunch of trucks or vehicles that as soon as you get them need an upgrade to be dependable. The question in my mind is why didn't it come with the upgrade already? If they truly want to be an industry leader why release an inferior product. It seems as if they put no real thought into how their product would be used by consumers. An example is the all new XMAXX. Where as I do not own one I have read that they do in fact break rather easily, Catch on fire due to the ESC not being adequate to handle the 6s Lipos efficiently and inadequate cooling. Now this is a truck that costs around 800 dollars US to buy and another 200+ for batteries that immediately requires upgrades unless you put it on a shelf and don't use it. Another example is the TMAXX. the trusty faithful of RC trucks...... Ridden with problems problems too many to list really. You can't tell me they didn't know that when they started releasing them. All brands are the same way with their trucks and cars etc etc. HPI has the savage with numerous problems and necessary upgrades, OFNA has immediate upgrade requirements and very little parts support at the store level. Why? Why wouldn't these companies release them with the ability to be dependable and durable right out of the box? Why do I care? Why does this bother me? because they are making money hand over fist on these cars and releasing sub par products in my opinion. Like all of you I buy what I like and I pay to play because that's what you have to do if you want to RC. but the question is why... Is there anything that we could do to hold them accountable? To get our money's worth? to buy aftermarket accessories because we want a different color not because it's durable. Think if actual car companies operated this way, or even the hobbygrade heli's. those guys cost big bucks and if their servos decided to just quit, or the motor's decided to just catch fire, or screws and bolts just came out all the time what a mess that would be. It seems as if their are standards everywhere except in RC cars. Ok I'm done ranting and I hope I can get some positive responses and thoughtful replies. I'm not even really mad per say so much as bewildered and curious.

How do you expect them to make any money. The add ons are were the money is made. Just like a car you use to be able to get one with out air and radio and power this and that but now days that is all on the car and that is why they cost so much. Try to buy one stripped down.

How do you expect them to make any money. The add ons are were the money is made. Just like a car you use to be able to get one with out air and radio and power this and that but now days that is all on the car and that is why they cost so much. Try to buy one stripped down.
Well I guess I think they can make money because it doesn't cost that terribly much to make one.

Making money is part of it but you have to remember people want cheap. With all the off-brand knock offs the cost gap gets too great if you start adding in the cost of all the upgrade parts. If all r/c's came off the shelf in bullet proof form they would be cost prohibitive to many and the hobby in general would be a lot smaller.

the hobby in general would be a lot smaller.
Would that be such a bad thing?. As stated in another post somewhere that there are too many people that buy cheap rc's and get into the hobby knowing nothing. Idk. I guys i still feel the same way and hope for a better product than what they offer. Again there are standards everywhere but in rc car hobby. Or the standards are low and lacking. Brand new slayer pro blew up today on break in. Followed the break in method, heck even if i didn't that shouldn't have happened. But it did and I'm going to pay to ship it to traxxas for a warranty claim "hopefully". After i already paid 430 bucks for the truck. If you own a lot of rc trucks these little inconveniences add up and become very costly. I'm just saying there should be faster standards. Who doesn't want more money to buy things they want instead of things they need.

2 Grand in this one, but I've never broken a single part.

018.JPG

I've got about that invested in my Revo 3.3 (titanium isn't cheap). I've got more than that invested in my scaler though.

A few things...

1. Keep in mind all the owners out happily running their rigs aren't stopping to gloat on the internets about it, they're too busy out having fun. It's the same way with other electronics, guns, motorcycle parts, and the list goes on and on.

2. Anything can break, I don't care who makes it and how strong they promise it to be. I've owned numerous Traxxas rigs, and never really felt that any of them needed anything right out of the box to be reliable. Never really had any issues either.

3. Driving style and maintenance. If you drive like a bonehead, your rig will let you know, generally in short order. If you drive like you have half a brain, and maintain your stuff decently, it'll treat you well.

4. Big brushless power; yes I know the videos of the E Revo and the MERV both doing standing backflips looks cool, but things like that are hard on equipment, I don't care who's name is on it. Like servicing diffs? Good, cause you'll be doing lots of it.

Some good points but I'm not thoroughly convinced that they do all they could do affordably and efficiently.

I just went back and re-read your initial post. I have many friends with most of the rigs you mention, and have been around the hobby a while and helped a lot of new guys with brand new rigs, and haven't seen that many glaring issues. A few sure, but not tons as it's being made out to be. As far as the hobby grade heli thing goes, they have their share of issue out of the box. Just ask any Blade heli owner, I mean beta tester. :D Honestly, a lot of the issues with out of the box stuff is due to not going over your rig before running it, or flying it. You can't expect cheap borderline slave labor to be diligent about QC, and still have your $199 RTR (ready to return) package that includes everything, even batteries. I tear every rig down right off the bat, and inspect and rebuild it. You'd be shocked what you find, like diffs shipped completely dry, slippers so loose they'll melt immediately, dry shocks, loose engine mounts, etc. And that's just ground rigs, don't even get me started on RTF (ready to fail / fall) aircraft. :D

HPI Guy I think you are pretty darn intelligent. I have thought about the things you mention. I agree with what you say. But I would like you to simply think about these questions. The questions I probably could replace my entire first post with. Taking the Hobbyist out of the picture as the "bad guy" the "Nelson know nothing" the "Carl Careless". Is there anything the manufacturers could or should do to make a better, more reliable, durable, product that hobbyists of all skill levels can enjoy? This answer really on requires a yes or a no. I will accept either one as your final answer and as whats true for you and I won't fault you for it. I state the question this way because I already have a long list of things "we" can do better. But what about them.

HPI Guy I think you are pretty darn intelligent.

You must have missed the short bus season pass in my sig. :D

Yes, of course they could address some of those things. BUT, as mentioned by others above, that would drive up prices, and drive down their competitive advantage in the market. Besides, every RTR I've been around from any major manufacturer was pretty well sorted as far as parts spec is concerned. Sure, you get a red herring from time to time, but in my experience, they always stand behind it and make it right. Plus that RTR is a great way for someone to get into the hobby. And at the end of the day, the more people we have in the hobby, the better off we all are. Most guys that have been at it a while either build kits, or do like I do and buy rollers or used RTRs knowing most of it gets upgraded right off the bat and still come out to about the same price with all the necessary upgrades done.

Eh... Apples and Oranges. Moving on thank you all for your thoughtful and non derogatory comments. :cheers:

I fully get what your saying... but... if they were driven for what they were intended for, most rigs wouldn't have a problem other than QC and poor maintenance problems.

My first hobby grade RC (15 years ago or so) was a xxx-nt with a dynamite .15 engine on it. I broke it in in the winter, probably 10F out. I had to start it in my apartment because after deadening 2 C batteries in heaters trying to get it going, it just wouldn't start. Being the bonehead I was, at the time, I didn't know about forums and it didn't even occur to me to go on the internet and look for stuff before buying. I was literally on my way home with my wife from staying with family for Christmas who was a 10 hour drive away, I was 45 minutes from home. For some reason, I pulled into a mall parking lot to go look at RC's... and I bought one. Always wanted one, was old enough to have the money for one and talked about it with my wife after seeing kids play with tyco stuff while with the family reminded me how much fun I had with a golden arrow from radio shack 20 years ago.

Anyway, I didn't break it in, I just ran it like I stole it. In the snow. Believe it or not, the thing held up like a champ. Right up until I got the 4-pack of AA's wet from teh snow and it shorted out, then went WOT into a carport across the street and slammed into a concrete footing with the wrath of Thor. Busted the front bulkhead and an arm. IT WAS WINTER! IT WAS A "FRAGILE" 2wd STADIUM TRUCK! I BROKE 2 PARTS!

By the time spring came, I had the bug so bad that I ran the thing nearly every night after work (same engine, same glow plug/servos) and only broke a handful of parts due to crashes. I ran the daylights out of that thing and hand to god, it held up really well. As I got better at tuning and figuring out things need adjusted (ball diffs anyone) periodically, I only broke what was severely neglected due to not knowing. Or I broke stuff from hitting things.

By the time I bought my first t-maxx, I had run the xxxnt for a couple years. The only major issue I had with the t-maxx was the stupid 2.5 engine in it. After that was upgraded, then I started doing a LOT of dumb stuff and breaking things. I'm pretty sure the engine was faulty, then again, it was only my 3rd engine into the hobby, so who knows.

Anyway, guess my point was, if you buy these and drive them how they were intended to be driven, maintain them properly, they do tend to hold up just fine out of the box. The main issue I run across is, people expect to be able to get 15 feet of air under a rig and not cause issues. Or, putting engines in them that are way more than the rig was intended for. Or, hit stationary objects at WOT and expect things to just take it. Or loose control of the thing at WOT and send it cartwheeling and complain about damage.

If we drove and maintained our 1:1 cars like we do our RC's... odds are, they would need massive upgrades to. :)

Eh... Apple's and orange's
I fully get what your saying... but... if they were driven for what they were intended for, most rigs wouldn't have a problem other than QC and poor maintenance problems.

My first hobby grade RC (15 years ago or so) was a xxx-nt with a dynamite .15 engine on it. I broke it in in the winter, probably 10F out. I had to start it in my apartment because after deadening 2 C batteries in heaters trying to get it going, it just wouldn't start. Being the bonehead I was, at the time, I didn't know about forums and it didn't even occur to me to go on the internet and look for stuff before buying. I was literally on my way home with my wife from staying with family for Christmas who was a 10 hour drive away, I was 45 minutes from home. For some reason, I pulled into a mall parking lot to go look at RC's... and I bought one. Always wanted one, was old enough to have the money for one and talked about it with my wife after seeing kids play with tyco stuff while with the family reminded me how much fun I had with a golden arrow from radio shack 20 years ago.

Anyway, I didn't break it in, I just ran it like I stole it. In the snow. Believe it or not, the thing held up like a champ. Right up until I got the 4-pack of AA's wet from teh snow and it shorted out, then went WOT into a carport across the street and slammed into a concrete footing with the wrath of Thor. Busted the front bulkhead and an arm. IT WAS WINTER! IT WAS A "FRAGILE" 2wd STADIUM TRUCK! I BROKE 2 PARTS!

By the time spring came, I had the bug so bad that I ran the thing nearly every night after work (same engine, same glow plug/servos) and only broke a handful of parts due to crashes. I ran the daylights out of that thing and hand to god, it held up really well. As I got better at tuning and figuring out things need adjusted (ball diffs anyone) periodically, I only broke what was severely neglected due to not knowing. Or I broke stuff from hitting things.

By the time I bought my first t-maxx, I had run the xxxnt for a couple years. The only major issue I had with the t-maxx was the stupid 2.5 engine in it. After that was upgraded, then I started doing a LOT of dumb stuff and breaking things. I'm pretty sure the engine was faulty, then again, it was only my 3rd engine into the hobby, so who knows.

Anyway, guess my point was, if you buy these and drive them how they were intended to be driven, maintain them properly, they do tend to hold up just fine out of the box. The main issue I run across is, people expect to be able to get 15 feet of air under a rig and not cause issues. Or, putting engines in them that are way more than the rig was intended for. Or, hit stationary objects at WOT and expect things to just take it. Or loose control of the thing at WOT and send it cartwheeling and complain about damage.

If we drove and maintained our 1:1 cars like we do our RC's... odds are, they would need massive upgrades to. :)

to be honest that just sounds like what others have said. I agree with what your saying but I still hear no accountability for the manufacturers. Yes there are manufacturers that will throw more cheap plastic parts at you for customer support and that's all fine and well but not the solution.

Eh... Apple's and orange's

to be honest that just sounds like what others have said. I agree with what your saying but I still hear no accountability for the manufacturers. Yes there are manufacturers that will throw more cheap plastic parts at you for customer support and that's all fine and well but not the solution.

So what would you have the manufacturers do then? Without driving up cost mind you.

Back