screw inserts for transmission revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
i noticed one of the screws which mounts the transmission to the chassis keeps spinning on me, it's the threads in the screw hole that are worn not the screw.
I read that some are using metal inserts to deal with this but was unable to find a link for the exact inserts i need.
can someone provide a link?

thanks

By transmission, do you mean the main gearbox, or the fornt or rear bulkhead?

Heli coil or go the next size up screw and be careful not to over tighten

for three of the four, you can use slightly longer bolts screwed thrpugh from the top and use nyloc nuts (nuts with a nylon ring in the top of them) on the longer bolts on the underside of the chassis.

it provides for a stronger fixing and stops the bolts unwinding or spinning in the plastic due to stripping the threads.

the only position on the gearbox housing you can not do this is the bolt hole directly beneath the slipper clutch as there is no room to insert the bolt from the top down.

If going into plastic with the screw an old and simple trick is to put a drop of CA glue in the hole and then insert the screw, the glue will bond to the plastic and more or less re-thread the hole. It's not a through hole is it or the glue will just run out the out the other side.

the gearbox holes are through holes, hence mention of the reversed bolt and nut trick.

so to add the bolts the screws are flipped in order to fit a nut on the end correct?

that's it yes.

the long bolts then poke through the underside of the chassis and nuts can be fitted.

At most, it is a temporary solution, well, to me at least, but one that works.

Full force rc used to make a insert kit. They worked great I have a couple sets. Prop a discontinued item now. You can check fullforcerc web site.

temp solution for me personally.

Gearbox on my revo gets pulled after every run for cleaning, teardown for checks and dropped back. reversed bolts got annoying preety slick for me.

Thank you for the links, going to order the 4mm ones. I was thinking I would just put one of those inserts in the other holes as well while i have the transmission out.
Any tips on putting them in, do i have to make the existing holes larger?

Thanks again, appreciate it

You have drill the hole out larger, it says to use a 5.6mm drill, I would use whatever is close to that in # size bits or measure out a fractional bit that's close.

Under sized or close, but not larger or it may not seat well enough.

glad i did not buy them yet, the lip on the top of the trans case only sticks out about 5mm so will need to go with something smaller.

Your only opening the hole just enough to press the insert in, so your only enlarging the hole by 1.5mm.

Back