Screw head broken

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rc legend

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi,my screw head has broken off in my cranks
haft,any ideas how to get the rest of it out as i dont want to buy a new one.

Drill it and use a easy out to extract it. If it isn't broken off down in the hole Sears have some screw extractors you could use.

I just hate it when a screw breaks off in my cranks! Don't y'all agree?

That's a tough one. Why did it break off? Were you loosening it or did it shear off due to hitting something? If it was just that tight, you have a binding issue that will make it tough to get out. May need to apply a bit of heat to get the threads loose when your trying to get it out.

If worse comes to worse, you can carefully dremel ~2mm of the end of the shaft to grab onto it with pliers or whatever, then use a crank spacer/extender to get the length back.

This shim kit comes with a couple extenders:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ofna-10099-...45b690e&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=8&sd=361375112211

Yes, a picture would be helpful. I'd drill a small hole in the end, thread it, and put a small piece of threaded bar or screw in, then you can pull it out- it's time consuming but will probably be your best bet. :)

Yes, a picture would be helpful. I'd drill a small hole in the end, thread it, and put a small piece of threaded bar or screw in, then you can pull it out- it's time consuming but will probably be your best bet. :)
i will get a picture up

i will get a picture up
its really well in there,seems impossible to get out
but if anyone could help me i would be very appreci
ated

Attachments

• 20150923_104145.jpg
    20150923_104145.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
a small left handed drill bit try to center up on the screw and make sure to run the drill in reverse. Hopefully the bit will bit on the broken screw and back it out.

i will get a picture up

its really well in there,seems impossible to get out
but if anyone could help me i would be very appreci
ated
I think your best bet is using a drill. :)

I'm quite sure a drill & a easy out would work,I would also try that!
But if all else fails,you might can just cut the crank at the threads where that clutch nut
screws on an add a new clutch nut with bell shaft,If your car & engine is compatible for
one.Heres what they look like.

image.jpg

I'm quite sure a drill & a easy out would work,I would also try that!
But if all else fails,you might can just cut the crank at the threads where that clutch nut
screws on an add a new clutch nut with bell shaft,If your car & engine is compatible for
one.Heres what they look like.

image.jpg
Yep.