Schumacher menace 21 engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramotorsports

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi I'm new here and looking for some suggestions;

Just inherited a menace from my brother. He gave up on it as I'm about to do. Lol. Long story short, the engine is shot. Does anyone have any idea how to obtain spare parts for this thing or know of an engine that would swap into the chassis with minimal modification? I'd also like to retain the drill start if possible.

Thanks in advance!

The Menace .21 uses the Thunder Tiger Pro .21 engine. They're getting hard to find, I'm pretty sure TTR no longer makes the 21,

The good news is you don't have to run strictly a Thunder Tiger 21, you can run just about any long shaft .21, .26 or .28 engine.

Once in a great while you can find complete, new Pro .21's listed on ebay under "Thunder Tiger Pro .21, Schumacher .21 or Monster GT .21" and rebuild parts are still available on ebay for the 21.

If you decide this truck is more trouble than it's worth, sell it on ebay. They sell like hot cakes for $200.00 or more for a complete truck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll start searching! What brand engine do you recommend?

Wow thanks man. We'll I guess bigger is better right? Lol. I'd like to put a .28 in if it would fit.

Go big or go home. Well, within reason :D Some of the Schumacher models came with Picco .28's very similar to this so I'm pretty sure this would fit without issues. I'd still like to test fit my Picco .28 with my Menace just to be sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Picco-Boost...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d2019c46

This is just one example though, theres so many engines, hp ratings and price ranges to choose from, it all comes down to what suits your situation best.

Well when you do test it out. Let me know how it fits. And how it runs of course.

I'll try to get some results posted by the end of the day. :thumbs-up:
A couple of vids with an Axial .28 installed

Last edited:
Sweet! I saw these videos on YouTube. Doesn't look like the axial is available anymore.

I had one. I put the Picco.28 in mine. The schumacher Fusion .28 is almost identical to the menace. Only differences are wheels, shocks, front bumper and body. Everything for the Fusion.28 will fit.

keep in mind the Menace is made of glass. Mine broke every single run. My Jato parts are twice as thick. The three spd is not adjustable and the gears are white plastic that strip very easily. The drive shafts and arms will shatter on the smallest impact. If I were you, id put it on ebay. Parts are expensive and hard to come by.You will spend too much on it and eventually dump it. Trust me, been there done that.

Sounds like my slash. Breaks every time I drive it. Lol

The good news is:
With the Fusion .28 motor mounts (part # U3235) and Fusion .28 throttle linkage (part # U3266) you can run just about any big block
you choose (larger than .21). My Picco .28 fit with no problems and I even managed to shoehorn an LRP .30 into it. :p
DSCN0353.jpg

DSCN0352.jpg

The bad news is:
After looking over the belt drive 4WD assembly, I don't think this car can handle the torque of a typical off road big block without shredding the belt or stripping belt gears
and the belt itself is a PITA to replace. You basically have to tear down the entire chassis to get to the belt.
Another problem is parts availability. Although some parts are available on ebay, a majority of parts would have to be ordered through Schumacher or an online UK hobby shop.
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Manufacturer/Schumacher/U3235.html
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Cars_and_Parts/Fusion_28/U3266.html

Just happened to notice my 1st gear transmission gear was completely stripped. The .21 engine was factory installed and never removed up until now.
Bad alignment issue I guess.
DSCN0357.jpg

The good news is:
With the Fusion .28 motor mounts (part # U3235) and Fusion .28 throttle linkage (part # U3266) you can run just about any big block
you choose (larger than .21). My Picco .28 fit with no problems and I even managed to shoehorn an LRP .30 into it. :p
DSCN0353.jpg

DSCN0352.jpg

The bad news is:
After looking over the belt drive 4WD assembly, I don't think this car can handle the torque of a typical off road big block without shredding the belt or stripping belt gears
and the belt itself is a PITA to replace. You basically have to tear down the entire chassis to get to the belt.
Another problem is parts availability. Although some parts are available on ebay, a majority of parts would have to be ordered through Schumacher or an online UK hobby shop.
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Manufacturer/Schumacher/U3235.html
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Old_Cars_and_Parts/Fusion_28/U3266.html

Just happened to notice my 1st gear transmission gear was completely stripped. The .21 engine was factory installed and never removed up until now.
Bad alignment issue I guess.
DSCN0357.jpg
Great info. I was on the verge of ordering the LRP .32 last night but held off. Haha. Maybe I should just stick with the LRP .28 in an effort to keep it together.

How's it run with that .30 on it?

I haven't tried the LRP 30 out, my spur gear is stripped. I just wanted to see if it would fit. I think I'm gonna throw my .21 back in it and have fun with it as is. Its capable of 70+ mph with the stock engine,

As sv250 mentioned, these trucks are fragile and if you hit something, especially at 70+ , its game over, This is my second truck, I've already destroyed one. :eek:

Last edited:
beffore
11.jpg

after
photo2-2.jpg
As horrible as it seems, when I click on the photo of the crash I have the option to have it framed, on a Christmas card- or if your'e feeling particularly adventurous, you can have it on a cushion. Sorry.

Anyway what happened?
also any good engine brand Novarossi, O.S, Picco, Werks would al be good.

After fixing it for the umpteenth time, I dropped it from a hieght of three feet. The a arma, cvd, and shock broke. I decided to finish it off with that hammer. By smashing that POS, I saved hundreds.

Back