SchrodeMode's Axial Wraith

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'll more than likely be ordering a new Poison Spider Wraith in a week or two as a birthday gift for my self (from my daughter), but I'm stuck on battery options. I am currently deployed and am having a hell of a time finding any lipos for it, so I'll be running Nimh packs for now. Does anyone have a link to some that'll work well with decent run times? My internet access is pretty limited so my searches haven't resulted in any good info, so I'm asking my RCNT family for some help. Thanks in advance guys.

Schrode, I wish I had some advice on NiMh packs for you, but I just don't bother with them. Also, is it only LiPo that you're having trouble finding / getting shipped, or all Lithium based packs in general? The reason I ask is LiFe or Li-ion would both be more stable and consistent throughout the discharge cycle vs NiMh.

Gerywolf had a link for revolectrix lipos, I tried those, although I probably should've gotten smaller packs, the ones I got were a tough fit for a forward battery job (gold label, 3s, 5000 mah)

Thanks guys, I wasn't able to find any life or li-ion batteries for it though. I think I'll just grab a couple 3000 mah nimh packs, hopefully they'll ship.

Finally went ahead and ordered it, I also picked up a STRC HD steering link, and a Venom 4200 mah 7.2v battery. Hopefully my package doesn't get stolen like my buddy's movie did.

Okay, I should've titled this SchrodeMode's Wraith. Could a Mod hook me up?

This is what's heading my way.

Axial Wraith Poison Spider Edition
STRC HD Aluminum Steering Link Set
XR10 Linkage Set I guess it's required for the above steering links
Venom 7.2v 4200 mAh NiMH Battery Haven't been able to find lipos that'll ship here.

I don't know why I couldn't find these threads before I made my purchase, but I finally found some Wraith threads on here and have some parts in mind. Would you Wraith experts mind sharing your opinions on my list? Let me know if they're good/bad, not worth it, or if there are better options. It's in no specific order, so if you know of some parts that should be replaced or at least kept on hand sooner than later, please let me know.

1. MIP Spline Center CVD
2. RC4WD Chassis Mount Servo Kit
3. RC4WD Extreme Duty XVD Axles
4. RC4WD Poison Spider Diff Cover

I use the MIP splined center CVD on my SCX-10/JK project as well as the RC4WD Chassis mount steering servo to0 keep it more stock looking.
Here's a pic of the 1st Gen CMS on my SCX-10/JK:
20121016_161551_zps0a92907e.jpg

I use the MIP splined center CVD on my SCX-10/JK project as well as the RC4WD Chassis mount steering servo to0 keep it more stock looking.
Cool man, thanks for the info. I think I'll understand the different upgrades/mods that I'm reading about after I get the truck, because right now I can't picture what the parts replace or where they would go.

Thanks man, I'm so glad you got to it before @Rolex.

I guess @HPI-Killer is busy fishing his rig out the creek. ;)

The picture I posted was the Chassis mounted steering servo. The CVDs attach from the transmission to the axles. I'll try and get some better pics of them on my rig.

Any of you Wraith guys running in high temps? It's around 105-110 daily, our highest so far was 124 two weeks ago. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do to keep from smoking the electronics.

The picture I posted was the Chassis mounted steering servo.
Thanks man, what exactly are the benefits of the CMS? Is it mostly for a more scale look? I was looking at the CMS and panhard kit and they said you have to remove one of the links and run a 3 link up front, would that affect the handling?

The CVDs attach from the transmission to the axles.
I see where you place my RC skillz......:confused:

Last edited:
The 3-link would not really hamper the off-road driving. Most of the rigs I've seen use either a triangulated 4-link or a 3-link with a Panhard.

I also thought that I read that you were having problems getting LiPos shipped to you in the U.K. Have you tried Hobby King's local warehouse?

Is the Vanquish CMS and panhard kit better than the STRC one enough to justify the additional cost ($25)?

I also thought that I read that you were having problems getting LiPos shipped to you in the U.K. Have you tried Hobby King's local warehouse?
Not yet, being as I live on base, I'd have to have them sent to a friend's house because the couriers they use can't get on base. I was going to have my buddy order some for me with his next order, but he never got around to placing one. Now I'm deployed and can't find anyone that'll ship them to APO, and it would be expensive and take forever for him to send them to me. Shipping them to him, then he'd have to use international shipping to me which would take them from the UK to the US then back around the world to me...plus the UK mail is pretty strict about what you can and can't ship. I have found one seller on ebay who's lipo listing actually has a shipping price instead of a doesn't ship to APO notice, I'm going to try to order one with a couple other things and hope he lists the contents at toy/model car parts/accessories.

I LOVE Vanquish parts! Their quality is second to none. I'm using their Curries under the SCX-10/JK. They are expensive but well worth the price, IMO.

I used to love vanquish parts, but then I found eighteenzero8s. They will be mine, oh yes they will be mine....

I used to love vanquish parts, but then I found eighteenzero8s. They will be mine, oh yes they will be mine....
Looked at their prices..........gonna have to go with a NOPE. Good luck with those though, they're just way out of my RC budget.

I'm saving up for em, its gonna take me a while.... A long while.

It got here day before yesterday, along with the battery and steering links. It's just sitting in my room until I get the box my wife sent, it has my charger and my Mini 8ight in it. I doubt the M8 will handle the terrain here, but I figured I'd give it a go.