Scale Question?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaFan

ROLL TIDE!!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I have a summit 1/10. If I remove the large tires and put a 2.8 tire on there would this qualify as a scale rig? I know the truck it's self is larger but it won't be much larger if I scale the tires down. Just thinking and wanted you guys opinion. I have been back and forth on putting it up for sale and buying a scale rig but I really enjoy my summit and the set up it has. Next question if I scale the tires down to a 2.8 where the heck can I find 17mm hex rims to fit the tires. Will I have to convert my summit to 12 or 14mm hex or do they make rims that will fit the summit with a 2.8 tire? I have looked and had no luck finding any.

I say no. Scale rigs are designed to be as close to 1:1 as possible. Frames, suspension, steering etc........ Not just an rc with scaled down tires. But thats just my opinion.

Ok. I was honestly thinking of scaling down the tires to make it more challenging. I found a few on youtube scaled down with different bodies and they looked very close to a F150 4X4 or Dodge 4X4.

both of those vehicles are SA F/R. Summit is IFS IRS, thus it changes the entire driveline of the 1:1 so IMO not scale at all.

I agree it's not going to be scale ever. Just trying to make it more realistic I guess.

Last edited:
I agree it's not going to be scale ever. Just trying to make it more realistic I guess.

I understand this. My point is that the two trucks that he listed (and is attempting to make scale versions of) are not Independent. To make scale versions of those trucks, there would have to be Solid axles.

I understand this. My point is that the two trucks that he listed (and is attempting to make scale versions of) are not Independent. To make scale versions of those trucks, there would have to be Solid axles.
So to be considered scale it would need solid axels? That prob wouldn't be that hard to convert.

I agree with everything alpine said. And just my opinion, but if I had a Summit, I'd be happy with it for what it is and not try and make it something it's not. My point is, I wouldn't chop up a $600 rig to try and make a rig you can buy for half that.

I agree with everything alpine said. And just my opinion, but if I had a Summit, I'd be happy with it for what it is and not try and make it something it's not. My point is, I wouldn't chop up a $600 rig to try and make a rig you can buy for half that.
Completely agree no chopping. If I could do some small mods to it that was a easy conversion then I may. So my next question is where can I find 2.8 tires and wheels with 17mm hex to fit it? I do want to scale the tires down some either way just to make it more challenging. I was looking at the 3.8 mudsliggers and I can get them in the 17mm hex but I can't find any 2.8 wheels in the 17mm hex.

So to be considered scale it would need solid axels? That prob wouldn't be that hard to convert.

Not necessarily in all cases. The point of a scaler is to be a smaller representation of a 1:1 rig. If the 1:1 rig you are attempting to recreate has solid axles, then your rc should as well. If it has independent suspension, then your rig should have that.

It's a 2.8 wheel, by default it's made for 2.8 tires. Wheels and tires are measured by diameter, not height. Wheels are measured in O.D. or outside diameter, same for tires only they measire the I.D. (inside diameter) so it matches the wheel. So if you buy those wheels, then buy tires with a 2.8 I.D. they will work.

Ok. I was honestly thinking of scaling down the tires to make it more challenging. I found a few on youtube scaled down with different bodies and they looked very close to a F150 4X4 or Dodge 4X4.

both of those vehicles are SA F/R. Summit is IFS IRS, thus it changes the entire driveline of the 1:1 so IMO not scale at all.
Alpine, you are incorrect about the F-150. All of the newer ones have IFS from the factory including the Raptor. All of the pickups from Dodge, Ford and GM, however have a solid rear axle.

My b. I was going off of the f-250+. Still is solid rear though.

But my point stands. The suspension is only a small part of what makes a scaler a scaler.

But my point stands. The suspension is only a small part of what makes a scaler a scaler.

yep.

Id sell the plummit and try to pick up a axial based scaler. Especially for a beginner into the scale world. Having an Axial setup (axles, suspension, chassis) gives you the perfect canvas to work with in customizing your own scaler. Then you would be happy and have a rig that was an actual scaler.

The Axials are a great starting point for a scaler. Mine started as an original SCX-10 and all that's really left of the kit are the axle shafts, frame rails and RX box.

yep.

Id sell the plummit and try to pick up a axial based scaler. Especially for a beginner into the scale world. Having an Axial setup (axles, suspension, chassis) gives you the perfect canvas to work with in customizing your own scaler. Then you would be happy and have a rig that was an actual scaler.
I'm not selling my summit. I got a steal on it when I bought it and if anything I would use it to pull my scaler on a trailer. I am going to change the tires and wheels out though to give it a better look. I think a f150 body would look good on it too. Soon as I find a kit that I like for a scale model I will get it. Probably out of all the kits out there I like the vaterra K5 blazer or Axial Rubicon best. I like the Honcho pretty good but I am still indecisive on what I want so I'm not ready to drop and coin on it yet.

It's a 2.8 wheel, by default it's made for 2.8 tires. Wheels and tires are measured by diameter, not height. Wheels are measured in O.D. or outside diameter, same for tires only they measire the I.D. (inside diameter) so it matches the wheel. So if you buy those wheels, then buy tires with a 2.8 I.D. they will work.
Ok thanks for the clarity. I wasn't sure how they classified the wheels and tires. I have not been in the electric field long so this is all new to me.

The Vaterra Ascender is a decent kit, but the Axial SCX-10 was a better kit IMO. You might just have to change out your rear body posts, nut you should be able to use any shell for an eRevo then.

Back