Say hello to the Traxxas X-Maxx monster truck!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
traxxas-x-maxx-action.jpg

Traxxas just announced their newest and largest monster truck yet, the Traxxas X-MAXX. Nearly 30 inches long, 22" wide and 4" ground clearance, and nearly 20 pounds the Traxxas X-Maxx is HUGE to say the least. The X-Maxx monster truck is 4WD and equipped with a Velineon brushless motor.

Click to continue

What's In The X-Maxx Box:
  • X-Maxx, Ready-To-Race® model with Traxxas Big Block brushless motor
  • VXL-6s Waterproof Electronic Speed Control
  • Quick Start Guide
  • TQi 2.4GHz radio system
  • High quality maintenance tools

What You'll Need for the Traxxas XMaxx:
  • Batteries
    IMPORTANT: X-Maxx requires the use of LiPo batteries equipped with Traxxas High Current Connectors. Traxxas 3-Cell, 5000 mAh or greater, Power Cell LiPo batteries with iD are recommended.
  • LiPo Balance Charger with iD
    Traxxas model 2970 or 2972 recommended for easy and fast charging performance.
  • AA Alkaline Batteries
    Four AA Alkaline batteries for the Transmitter.

I guess my excitement hasn't faded yet. :)

Sure having the benefits of a gas engine found on the Losi or Baja, or even a smaller gas engine setup like the Savage Octane would be nice. Being able to drive the truck up to me, add more gas and get going again would be great.

I'm certainly not against a brushless setup either. Granted having to deal with multiple batteries are not going to be much fun, but so long as the motor is powerful enough to push the truck around the yard at a nice speed I'd be happy.

Further the X-Maxx is a very impressive truck and is finally NOT the same old truck with a new body that manufactures tend to do anymore. This is a completely new design with features not found on any other monster truck at the moment. Seeing this truck makes me very excited to not only see this truck in person but what it might do to the hobby and force other manufactures to think outside the box as well.

I agree with that, since after all, it was pretty much the Traxxas Tmaxx that kicked this whole hobby into high gear.

I like it! May be time to get back into MT bashing. I miss those days.

I'll wait to see how well it takes the abuse of real world bashers before commenting further.

I thought for a while it was a gasser, since the market seems to be heading that way. I have never been a fan of electric powered trucks. Reason is driving time, i rather have a truck just add fuel and go. Then have the need to charge the truck. And 800$ (35 MPH 2x3s LiPo) for that thing when can get a revo 3.3 for 600 which reach 40 MPH out of the box. I rather go with my setup. Which is Revo 3.3 + THS Pipe + Ofna JL .28 MAX + RR steal gears (Wide). And it will reach beyond 40 MPH. Total cost of 925 $.

Does size matters?
Takes a lot more energy to move 8,67 Kg than 4,36 Kg (E-Maxx brushless). And E-maxx can reach 65 MPH with same battery configuration as the X-maxx.

Driving time?
I don't know the stamina of E-maxx brushless but for sure its going to be longer then the X-Maxx.

Cat's final thoughts:
It will look cool on the shelf but it won't be cool in the field. Shelf queen!

They a are releasing X-Maxx at Xmas :);)

Further the X-Maxx is a very impressive truck and is finally NOT the same old truck with a new body that manufactures tend to do anymore. This is a completely new design with features not found on any other monster truck at the moment. Seeing this truck makes me very excited to not only see this truck in person but what it might do to the hobby and force other manufactures to think outside the box as well.

Looks like an atypical body mount and the diffs look like they aren't your standard 1/5th scale either. I don't see any bearings in it. Hard to tell what the output shafts have on them as they are only shown in a smaller view. Other than those two things, anything else stand out to you?

Looks like steel cvd's on all 4 corners, which is surprising with Traxxas. But I guess they need to handle the weight/torque of brushless without having plastic sliders the size of your forearm in there. Also, some sort of splined shaft for the center axle with a primary output gear with splines in it in the 3 gear trans. Probably could have used a center diff to simplify it a bit...

Looks like an atypical body mount and the diffs look like they aren't your standard 1/5th scale either. I don't see any bearings in it.
The Traxxas X-Maxx diffs do have bearings.

traxxas-xmaxx-differentials.png

You can also see them in the exploded views of the truck as well.

Was super excited until I found out it was brushless.. :(

Possible gas version in the future? Let's hope!

I like it! The drivetrain looks like a slash set up which is pretty tough.

Maybe if they sell enough of this size that may help then to release either a gas or nitro. I doubt it though.

Back