SavageX 4.6 big block suspension ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitt1717

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so after a year i decided to pull her out and fix her up from the last bashing (lost shaft pin, shredded spur gear). I'm new to this truck still and figured i would freshen her up a bit as well and clean up the shocks. i found a how to on another forum which allows the truck to sit lower and keeps it from flipping over as easy. all you need to do is add a spacer (fuel tube, or a actual shock spacer)

so i went to the LHS and picked up oil and spacers. i took apart 1 shock and noticed theres already a spacer in there.... so heres my questions

1. do i already own the big bore shocks? HPI site shows big bore on the truck per description (4 shocks not 8)
2. if they are, do you think doubling up the spacer is a bad idea
3. if 2 is a bad idea, any tips on shock setup (I'm sure there is a lot of info here but the search is a bit busted on this site, at least for me)

You betcha

so after a year I decided to pull her out and fix her up from the last bashing (lost shaft pin, shredded spur gear). I'm new to this truck still and figured I would freshen her up a bit as well and clean up the shocks. I found a how to on another forum which allows the truck to sit lower and keeps it from flipping over as easy. all you need to do is add a spacer (fuel tube, or a actual shock spacer)

so I went to the LHS and picked up oil and spacers. I took apart 1 shock and noticed there's already a spacer in there.... so here's my questions

1. Do I already own the big bore shocks? hpi site shows big bore on the truck per description (4 shocks not 8)
2. If they are, do you think doubling up the spacer is a bad idea
3. If 2 is a bad idea, any tips on shock setup (I'm sure there is a lot of info here but the search is a bit busted on this site, at least for me)

Hi pit,
It sounds like you already have the best shocks, big bore, available from hpi.
I'm not sure what adding another spacer would accomplish.
So if you should add them, please keep us informed on the eventual outcome of it. Thanks, as I already have those same shocks on my hpi 106364.

Chas

Yes add spacer inside of the shock it self it serves as a stopper of the shaft not to be pulled all through out by the shock spring. I put 3/4 of an inch length so that A arm is parallel to the ground. Even I run fast and had a turn 90deg. or even 360 it will not flip over. And even I do big air not a problem, and it handles the stirring well.

It depends on what X you have. The later models have the big bores. The older ones ran 8 standard savage shocks.

Personally, I really like the big bores. I just have the plastic ones, they leak a bit, but I like running 4 vs 8. Less to maintain and they handle really well off big air and in general bashing. I replaced all the o-rings/fluid in mine and they still leak a little around the shafts. I should have replaced the shafts... but I didn't.

I also got the next step up in stiffness hellfire springs for mine. The ones that came on it were pretty soft. I picked up a shock parts tree as well that had the flux tubes, so I cut the tubes in half to not have to use a bunch of the little spring spacer clips. I still run the dual spring setup and I think I put 40 weight oil in them.

The X that comes with the big bores does have a spacer inside the shock as well as a smaller one outside the shock.
Inside: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLJ5&P=7
Outside: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMAA5&P=7

Puts my revo to shame on big air... :)

I have also found when rebuilding shocks is the 40 Weight Shock oil is about the best all around oil to use in shocks for off road trucks. Using Team Associated Green Slime on all the rubber seals will help to eliminate any leaks you may have.

Back