Savage Xl Slipper Clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalib

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What up fellas. I got a Savage Xl with a LRP .32 in it. Problem is the slipper clutch keeps slipping. I tighten the nut down but after a minute or so the thing is just spinning again. I've put lock tight on the nut and that still don't help. Any suggestions on what I can do to stop this? Should I replace one or all of the clutch parts? Any Info will help, thanks.

What spur do you have? Steel or plastic? What gearing/tires do you have?

I had the same issue with my savage after the LRP28S3 broke in. I had to gear it low so the slipper wouldn't slip when it shifted into second. The slipper would slip with the plastic spurs and melt the back out before I noticed it. Once it slipped once, it was done. I ended up getting an HPI steel spur, OFNA hardened bell and made sure to rough up the slipper washer and slipper pad during install. Then I pretty much just tightened the nut down until the spring was fully compressed. I was able to gear it taller than with the plastic spurs.

I'm running a stock 2-speed trans with BP diffs with traxxas 3.8" chevrons on it and 47/16 gearing now. Has been working great for quite a while, probably about a gallon of fuel.

Is the slipper pad still ok?
Sounds to me it slipped a lot and now the spurgear is molten.
Can you post some pics?

What spur do you have? Steel or plastic? What gearing/tires do you have?

I had the same issue with my savage after the LRP28S3 broke in. I had to gear it low so the slipper wouldn't slip when it shifted into second. The slipper would slip with the plastic spurs and melt the back out before I noticed it. Once it slipped once, it was done. I ended up getting an HPI steel spur, OFNA hardened bell and made sure to rough up the slipper washer and slipper pad during install. Then I pretty much just tightened the nut down until the spring was fully compressed. I was able to gear it taller than with the plastic spurs.
I'm running a plastic spur now, with some proline badlands tires & wheels. If I tighten the nut all the way down it will make for about one or two passes then it's slipping again. I got a three speed on the xl but like yours it seems to be messing up going into 2nd

I'm running a stock 2-speed trans with BP diffs with traxxas 3.8" chevrons on it and 47/16 gearing now. Has been working great for quite a while, probably about a gallon of fuel.

Just a quote? No reply?
Yeah my reply is like the third paragraph, I don't know how that happened. LOL. I replied that I was running a plastic spur with some proline badland tires and wheels.... and that when I tighten the nut all the way down it's ok for a couple of passes....

Back