savage x 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbson

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Totaly hacked off with an f 4.6 engine just wont run right or tune got no air leaks got good back pressure good compresion did have new plug till it bernt out running 25 percent nitro will only start wen it rich basicaly factory settings so then it just cuts out as soon as u go near the trottle becuse its so rich so i lean it out quater tern on the hsn so it will run then it shows realy lean condition over heats and burns plugs out so it will ether be so rich it cuts out or even an 1/8th tern leaner and it will over heat and bern plugs

Totally hacked off with an f 4.6 engine just wont run right or tune got no air leaks got good back pressure good compression did have new plug till it burnt out running 25 percent nitro will only start wen it rich basically factory settings so then it just cuts out as soon as you go near the throttle because its so rich so i lean it out quarter turn on the hsn so it will run then it shows really lean condition over heats and burns plugs out so it will ether be so rich it cuts out or even an 1/8th tern leaner and it will over heat and bern plugs
Firstly, use full stops! :p and secondly, try using 20%, as 25% is a bit too much just for starting things off.... You may also not realise what "really" rich and "too lean" may be. For further help check this excellent flowchart:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

Nitro engines take a LOT of getting used to. I've gotten a lot better at them in the last few years but I still have a hard time getting them to run right half the time since I tend to be more of an electric guy. Sometimes I feel like "Hey, I'm really starting to get the hang of this tuning bit!" then the next thing I know I'm ready to toss it off a cliff and just say to hell with it. lol. Part of the challenge of nitro I suppose. :)

I'm gana go brushless wen one comes up at the right price but i still like the sound of a engine wen u get a good tune and it all just goes right u carnt beat it

I'm gana go brushless wen one comes up at the right price but i still like the sound of a engine wen u get a good tune and it all just goes right u carnt beat it
yep- electric just isn't as impressive, but sometimes you do just want to switch on two things and off you go :(

yes, that would be the caveats that I'm talking about and not the stuff about how you have to take extra precautions when using lipos and what-not. You know, the very thing that keep you from using electrics in the first place.

yes, that would be the caveats that I'm talking about and not the stuff about how you have to take extra precautions when using lipos and what-not. You know, the very thing that keep you from using electrics in the first place.
hmmmm..yes, forgot about that one....

First why are you tuning it in quarter turns when you need to tune it in lot smaller turns, more like hour turns means 12 to 1 then make several runs before making another hour tune. Also Savages have a tenise to self lean at half tank so try not to run on the lean side, a little fatter is always better as it can help your nitro last longer and remember to put piston to bottom dead end center prevents sleeve from stretching. For fuel I use 30% from start to finish, each time you change percentage one should do a re-break in but think most don't, but will have to retune each time you change fuel percentage, I found that with 30% have a bigger tuning window being temp/air change and more power