Savage X 4.6 wont turn on! Please Help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex818

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Alright so My truck has been sitting in the garage for a year now. I was only able to get it running for like 10 seconds last summer and it shut off and wouldnt turn on again. SO i emptied the fuel tank. Put some after run oil and stored it. Now to turn it back on it wont turn on again! So frustrating. Put a new glow plug, checked if igniter is working, its working. I put a few drops of oil in the engine and primed it by blowing into the exhaust line. I dont know what else to do. I would appreciate it if someone could help. So I took out the cooling head and i noticed weird liquid residue like yellowish inside my engine. Could that liquid be causing my engine from not turning on? Should i clean the inside of my engine? If so how?

How mechanically confident do you feel? If your familiar with mechanics I'd recommend a tear down, and clean out with a soft cloth.

Alternately: you could put the cooling head back on, plug up the exhaust port, and fill up the engine with new fuel, and just give it a shake to rinse out the engine....you can use old fuel to rinse out the gummed up fuel/or ARO, but fresh fuel will help us rule out your fuel being the cause of the problem.

Once you have the engine rince out then I would install a new glow plug (McCoy MC-59), and then I'd get out the heat gun, and preheat the engine block before you try starting it up. Preheating a new engine make a world of difference.

How mechanically confident do you feel? If your familiar with mechanics I'd recommend a tear down, and clean out with a soft cloth.

Alternately: you could put the cooling head back on, plug up the exhaust port, and fill up the engine with new fuel, and just give it a shake to rinse out the engine....you can use old fuel to rinse out the gummed up fuel/or ARO, but fresh fuel will help us rule out your fuel being the cause of the problem.

Once you have the engine rince out then I would install a new glow plug (McCoy MC-59), and then I'd get out the heat gun, and preheat the engine block before you try starting it up. Preheating a new engine make a world of difference.

I've never taken apart the engine but I think I can do it. If anything happens ill refer to the truck manual? Ill do that, take the engine apart and clean it. Well the fuel I filled uo today is fresh but I have a feeling the old fuel inside my ebgine frim last year mixed with after run oil is causing the problem. Becuase the compression seems fine.

Before you start pulling everything apart, try rinsing out the engine first. An engine tear down might not be needed, since there are a few parts that can be installed in reverse that will give any engine troubles.

Before you start pulling everything apart, try rinsing out the engine first. An engine tear down might not be needed, since there are a few parts that can be installed in reverse that will give any engine troubles.

Rinse it with fuel?

Well, the gummed up fuel will most likely be at the bottom of the crank case, and in the carb. If that's rust in the pic I'd clean it off, along with any other rusty parts.

Last edited:
Well, the gummed up fuel will most likely be at the bottom of the crank case, and in the carb. If that's rust in the pic I'd clean it off, along with any other rusty parts.

Thats not a picture of my engine, just showed it as an example. How would I be able to get to those parts?

Alright! IT WORKED!! After 2 years of not working! So i took the head off and cleaned the engine with fuel. I used a Qtip to clean the hid because it was dirty. There was like a layer of something that had dried up. Poured a good amount and flushed the engine tilting it 90 degrees and saw a brownish color pouring it. Poured some in the carb andflipped the truck and more brownish liquid came out. I ran it for half a tank now gonna charge up my battery pack for the servos and actually run it!! Thank you so much! You were a ton of help!