Savage X 4.6 With 3-Speed Transmission?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjstinson

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Can someone help me understand how a 3-speed transmission would improve upon the Savage X 4.6? Is it not just adding more range to the power it already has as a stock 2-speed?

I ask because HPI suggests that this would improve speed (assuming it would still take adjustments).

When properly adjusted it will add torque on the bottom and a little more speed on the top without changing your clutch bell or spur gear because of the closer gear ratio. The 3 speed shift points adjust the same as the 2 speed but it has two hubs to adjust instead of one. It sounded cool hearing it shift twice but for me as a basher I prefer the gear ratio of the 2 speed.

When properly adjusted it will add torque on the bottom and a little more speed on the top without changing your clutch bell or spur gear because of the closer gear ratio. The 3 speed shift points adjust the same as the 2 speed but it has two hubs to adjust instead of one. It sounded cool hearing it shift twice but for me as a basher I prefer the gear ratio of the 2 speed.

That was EXACTLY the type of response I was hoping for. I expected the difference to be that you could transfer power lower and higher with the 3-speed but if you adjusted the 2-speed you would sacrifice in one direction or the other. Correct?

I too, prefer the 2-speed and I also don't need a MT to reach an impressive top speed. I would like as much low-end torque as possible without hearing it shift too early. I guess what I am asking is, would a 3-speed be the only means to get greater torque than the stock setting on the 2-speed without sacrificing much top-end power or shifting when I pop the throttle up a ramp?

I'm not sure if you know this so I'll just put it out there....Adding teeth to the spur gear or subtracting teeth from the clutch bell will lower the gearing...The opposite for each will give a taller gear.

A 3 speed could allow you to go up on the spur gear for more torque and still be very close to the 2 speed on the top end. IMO if you want a little more low end torque I would go up a size on the spur gear, a little more grunt without loosing much top end. If memory serves me correctly the Savage comes stock with a 47T spur gear so a 49T would be the next size up.

As for the shift timing that is adjustable on both the 2 and 3 speeds, you can adjust it to shift as soon or as late as you like. You generally don't want to hear the engine hit top RPM's in first gear for more than a second or two before it shifts into second.

I'm not sure if you know this so I'll just put it out there....Adding teeth to the spur gear or subtracting teeth from the clutch bell will lower the gearing...The opposite for each will give a taller gear.

A 3 speed could allow you to go up on the spur gear for more torque and still be very close to the 2 speed on the top end. IMO if you want a little more low end torque I would go up a size on the spur gear, a little more grunt without loosing much top end. If memory serves me correctly the Savage comes stock with a 47T spur gear so a 49T would be the next size up.

As for the shift timing that is adjustable on both the 2 and 3 speeds, you can adjust it to shift as soon or as late as you like. You generally don't want to hear the engine hit top RPM's in first gear for more than a second or two before it shifts into second.

I actually did NOT think of changing the spur gear for that! Brilliant! I'm still learning. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, I hear the truck shift fairly smoothly and generally at the point that sounds typical compared to others I have seen and heard. For as rich as my tune is right now, the truck seems to shift exactly where I feel it should. I would hate to mess with that too much at all. I might go the spur gear or clutch bell route. Probably try the spur gear first and see what I get from that.

Thanks for the help!