Reefs servo on a scx10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatcraig

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Can I put a reefs servo on a scx10.3? Bolt in?

As long as it's the right size to fit in the space. Looks like many are using the Reef's raw500.

That's the one I'm thinking about getting just not sure how it bolts in. I haven't taken the old one out yet. I usually get the original part but I don't think I want the plastic gears the original comes with. It burn up pretty quick.

Which model do you have? And in stock location? If so it's drop in. Just need a new servo horn.

Last edited:
looking at a video its a 1/10 scale servo.no known info on reefs
so unknown if it will work.
what rotation is stock servo?reefs?

What servo horns will work with the raw 500 reefs?

Okay I watched the video but I didn't hear what he said about the horn. Ill order the servo and the horn tonight

It should work fine. As long as you're mounting it in the stock location and not on the axle. That's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Just want a good servo, don't know much about them, but I burnt this one pretty quick

complete over kill in my book... Figures you have little knowledge on a servo. a simple google search would have told you the spline # 25 not so sure about the length of arm ...you would have to measure stock one...

Just want a good servo, don't know much about them, but I burnt this one pretty quick
Reefs is a great servo, if you don’t mind the $$$,
You can find cheap ones that work fine with metal gears also, but reefs is definitely going to be the better choice.

why would one need a 500 oz servo for this rig??
I kinda feel the same way. Just look at the servos we had back in the 80's. My Javelin did probably every bit of 40mph, and was a fairly heavy 4wd buggy for being 10th scale. And the servo I had in it probably wasn't as powerful as the micro servos I have now. But it got the job done.

This whole thing now of going with ridiculously powerful servos is just insane. Greywolf has one that is over 950oz/in. It would break every part of the steering if anything got in a bind.

I put an EcoPower WP120t on this SCX10iii, Jeep JLU kit. It’s got some scaler fab bumpers & brass at the hubs down low. It’s not lightweight at just under 9lbs without a battery. This servo has never left me wanting. It’s fast + strong enough for where it’s driven & costs quite a bit less.
IMG_3533.jpeg
IMG_3534.jpeg

Thanks for the replys guys, if its overkill or not I got a raw 500 on the way and my servo horns came in today. Thanks for the help and I might be asking for more help on the install but the video you guys posted really helped and it looks kinda simple so maybe so.

Thanks for the replys guys, if its overkill or not I got a raw 500 on the way and my servo horns came in today. Thanks for the help and I might be asking for more help on the install but the video you guys posted really helped and it looks kinda simple so maybe so.
There's nothing at all wrong with overkill if you can afford to. A lot of times for me I find it hard to spend more money on a servo I don't need. But like in our Ryft, I went with a $165 Tekin servo which has about 200oz more torque than it really needed, but everything else was Tekin, so why not.