Redneck Nitro Stampede

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gosuto

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey everyone, I decided to make a project thread for the truck. I bought a pre-owned Nitro Stampede and as I quickly learned, there were a few things that weren't disclosed (and I didn't know to look for). No problem, I love a good challenge!
  1. Phase 1 is pretty simple: make it run and run right. Like I said, I bought it pre-owned. There was a Spektrum SR3300T Rx inside all wired up and ready to rock, but unbeknownst to me...it doesn't work with the Traxxas Tx. Second thing I've come across, the spur gear is completely ground down to nubs (pic below). Fortunately those are cheap and a good friend of mine already recommended keeping a few in the toolbox just in case. Other than that, the engine fires up just fine with the EZ Start2 system and idles great (huge relief).
  2. Phase 2 is making the body redneck pretty. No, not pretty like your sister when you took her to prom...I mean camouflaged! The current body is banged up a bit and bright yellow (not my thing), but the LED lighting is a nice touch and I'll move it over to the new body.
  3. Phase 3 is go fast and tuning. Saving this for last because I still have a bit to learn here and the last thing I want to do is drop cash on the wrong/poor-quality parts and then I'm replacing an engine. So I'll have more details on that as I go.
NitroStampede.jpg
NitroStampede2.jpg
Spur Gear.jpg

I love Stampedes, looking forward to see what a redneck pede looks like :thumbs-up:

When you buy spur gears buy the slipper pegs too. A drop of thin super glue on the thrust washer makes assemble a lot easier.

I love Stampedes, looking forward to see what a redneck pede looks like :thumbs-up:

When you buy spur gears buy the slipper pegs too. A drop of thin super glue on the thrust washer makes assemble a lot easier.
Ah, that tidbit of info would have been awesome back when i was at the hobby shop LOL. Oh well, that's another learning experience for me :rolleyes:

Just replaced the worn spur gear, putting it all back together. Will have to wait til tomorrow morning to road test though, neighbors might get a bit testy if I'm firing up a nitro at 11pm...

Looks like you have an Losi LST* radio box in that thing. Wonder what else isn't "factory".

I've wanted a nitro stampede for a while. I got tired of the old 2.5 maxx diffs going out back in the day so I built up the rear diff as best as I could at the time and removed the front diff. 2wd is a lot of fun. Kind of thinking of doing that with my small block revo.

Yeah, the Losi box was holding the Spektrum Rx. I think there's definitely some other non-OEM items in here after doing the spur gear and the manual was nothing like what I'm working with.

Threw the body back on for a little added protection today. Had a good time bashing around the yard but I noticed the OEM Tx and Rx have what feels like a very limited range and then the truck gets a mind of its own. I think I'll make that Spektrum Tx/Rx setup more of a priority, at least then I can setup the failsafe and just have the truck stop.

11143205_10153572130274931_2698930207602430596_n.jpg
11904718_10153572130374931_2999993031985813633_n.jpg
11924217_10153572130319931_7324971395697458990_n.jpg

Great news, my DX2E transmitter showed up today! Just wiring up the Spektrum SR3300T and it should be ready to rock (with fail-safes)!
DX2E.jpg

What started out as a simple adjustment to the gap between my spur gear and clutch bell has turned into a full-blown tear down and rebuild. As I started tearing things apart, I found the red and black wires for the EZ Start system were frayed and exposed, and also that my exhaust tube off the engine was hardened and cracked. So at this point I'm tearing it all down, degreasing everything and replacing everything that's in rough shape.
0902151118a_zps3arpypfm.jpg

Yeah, I'm glad I enjoy the wrenching part (and that the parts are relatively inexpensive).

Yeah, my Evader was just something to rip around the yard with, this truck is the first one I'm really cutting my teeth on and it's a helluva project so far. Love it though!

Yeah, my Evader was just something to rip around the yard with, this truck is the first one I'm really cutting my teeth on and it's a helluva project so far. Love it though!
Heres an important tip...LOL
You will eventually want more...It becomes an addiction!

Yeah, I'm already looking at some crawlers. Not many places to run a low-to-the-ground car out here but a crawler would be a blast!

Yeah, I'm already looking at some crawlers. Not many places to run a low-to-the-ground car out here but a crawler would be a blast!
I was wanting to see what the big crawler scene was about,but couldn't see pumping that much money out.
So a Guy put his mini crawler up for sale for about 80 bucks,that fit my budget,so I bought it an spent a about
a week crawlin,an decided crawlin wasn't for me because it was too slow,so I resold it.
I'm glad that I didn't spend 4 to 5 hundred bucks on one.

Back