Radio Shack close's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe7404

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
some of RS stores are closing. today Fri 6 stopped at RS. the store close to me is going out. was told in 2 weeks they will be gone. BIG discounts. as much as 50%. i grabbed a anti-static kit. no 2762370. big mat 26" X 24". material vinyl,, ground cable, 1 Mohm . posted price $29.xx, rang up to $3.xx discount. DO check it out. can't wait to see prices on solder..

What's RS?
I just read yesterday that Office Depot took over Office Max and now Staples is buying the whole lot for 4 billion.

Are you sure? I just read recently that they were in Chapter 11, closing about half their stores and then using half of what they had left to sell Sprint as well as their own products.

Yup, they are chopping a bunch of stores, hoping the one near me stays.
I'll have to go by there tomorrow and see what's up.

Yup, they are chopping a bunch of stores, hoping the one near me stays.
I'll have to go by there tomorrow and see what's up.
OK i said it wrong. not all are closing. but one near me is. the one near me that is closing is inside a mall. but looks like some good deals.

They all got bought by Bell (phone, cell phone, satellite TV, internet service provider company) about 10 years ago up here in Canada. They carry pretty much the same stuff, but they're more expensive now.

All the ones in my area turned into The source, but I do most of my shopping north of the Fort Sask.

Back when you could repair electronics I spent a lot of time and money at Radio Shack. Tubes, transistors, resistors, etc. Nowadays the only things they have that I can use are LEDs and toggle switches.
Many years ago most of their products were made in Taiwan under the Tandy or Realistic label. Yes, they were WAY ahead of all the other companies with Chinese manufacturing. Problem is, a basic part like a phone wall jack was more expensive than the same part made in USA and sold at the local hardware store. They made a fortune in overpricing cheap manufacturing and I stopped doing business with them.

@moe7404, the Radio Shack in Derby, KS shouldn't be closing as they are dealer (I know the owner, I used to work as a manager for his brother at the store in Manhattan, KS) if you need a Radio Shack fix.

@moe7404, the Radio Shack in Derby, KS shouldn't be closing as they are dealer (I know the owner, I used to work as a manager for his brother at the store in Manhattan, KS) if you need a Radio Shack fix.
yep you are right about Derby. it is a good shop. in wichita two shops will be left. south Rock Road (east side), 47th at Broadway. (south). the one next to me in the mall on west maple and i think the one on west 21 st. will be gone. my shop will be gone in 9 days. i went to RS this morn. found lots of good deals. BUT solder, bolts, screws , mini note books, mini jacks, coax pwer jacks, are not a big discount. but ,caps, I.C. s, LEDs, all resistors, PCB boards, ARE good deals. i spent $111.00.

Yeah I forgot to mention they changed the name to The Source, they're still owned by Bell though.[/Q
Yeah I forgot to mention they changed the name to The Source, they're still owned by Bell though.
i for got they are allso selling the display racks. the sales person ask me if i wanted one of the electronic storage racks. so ill take my tape and see what size they are

I guess I like think I lucked out, so far my local RS says they are staying.

2 Shacks in my town that have been here for as long as I can remember. If one or both closes, I won't miss them.

I've heard that it's been rumored that Amazon is considering moving into the radio shack stores that are closing.

RS used to be pretty cool but I never go there anymore. what little bit of stuff they have that I can use I only buy if its an emergency and I can't find it anywhere cheaper (Which I usually can)...

RS used to be pretty cool but I never go there anymore. what little bit of stuff they have that I can use I only buy if its an emergency and I can't find it anywhere cheaper (Which I usually can)...
yep i just got two electronics cabinets. $300. but can't figure out the brand name. man they are heavy, this old man can't do much of that. tomorrow we are going to get my GFs file cabinet.