question about low speed needle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou069

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi guys i have a problem setting up my low speed needle on a .26 ofna engine ... and i dont no if its to rich or to lean n when i put it back to factory default it does the same thing.... itll start up very nicly and quickly but everytime i try to hit the gas it chocks, so i gotta give it gas like cm by cm and everytime i give it a lil gas i have to hold position a lil then give it more gas... once i get it to go then it works a1 even if its completly stopped or even if it turns off n i turn it back on right away itll go... the high speed needle is set properly...

i forgot to mention.. in the summer i hade no problem (when it was like 10c-30c) but now that its winter n its (-10c- -20c) thats when the problem happend.... needed to lean out the high speed to so i figured id need to lean out the low speed same thing happends...

Warm your engine up first. This is key in cold weather. Hair dryer for 5 min does the trick.

Warm your engine up first. This is key in cold weather. Hair dryer for 5 min does the trick.
Really should always do this regardless of temps outside. Just easier on the engine starting up.

Really should always do this regardless of temps outside. Just easier on the engine starting up.

Also keeping the head/heat-sink wrapped helps keep the engine warm. This should help http://www.amain.com/competition-heat-fireproof-replacement-cover-w-logo-blue/p248516

Why is it quoting when all I do is tap reply?? Lol sorry about all the quotes.

Last edited:
Just click in the empty post box at the bottom and start writing when you want to post. +quote will quote any of the posts you click that in, and reply with the arrow will automatically quote that post for you to reply to it.

Got it. Hadn't scrolled all the way down. Thanks Rolex.

Decide to wait till warmer weather or are you still working on this? Solved?

Got it. Hadn't scrolled all the way down. Thanks Rolex.
still working on it just slowly.. still can't seem to set the low speed to a good position.... high speed and idle needle easy to set up but the low speed being a prick...

still working on it just slowly.. still can't seem to set the low speed to a good position.... high speed and idle needle easy to set up but the low speed being a prick...
Have you tried setting it by pinching the fuel line while idling so that the engine cuts out after ~3 seconds?

Pinch the line right by the HSN.

I should have asked what's happening that makes you think the LSN is off?

After reading your post again, my guess is that you're to lean on the HSN. Also might want to check that carb-gap and be ABSOLUTELY sure it's always returning to the stop point you've set, should be about 1mm. When you're too lean on the HSN the engine will want to die on throttle, too much air not enough fuel. Personally I would reset to factory needle settings and go from there. I had to do this multiple times while familiarizing myself with the joy's of breaking in a nitro engine LOL.

As Rolex said, when it's cold the needles need to be richened so in the case of the LSN setting and fuel line pinch test look for it to die after 4-5 seconds.

Last edited:
Have you tried setting it by pinching the fuel line while idling so that the engine cuts out after ~3 seconds?

After reading your post again, my guess is that you're to lean on the HSN. Also might want to check that carb-gap and be ABSOLUTELY sure it's always returning to the stop point you've set, should be about 1mm. When you're too lean on the HSN the engine will want to die on throttle, too much air not enough fuel. Personally I would reset to factory needle settings and go from there. I had to do this multiple times while familiarizing myself with the joy's of breaking in a nitro engine LOL.

As Rolex said, when it's cold the needles need to be richened so in the case of the LSN setting and fuel line pinch test look for it to die after 4-5 seconds.
I didn't no the pinch method was for the lsn I'll try that n with my cold tempurater ur saying about 4-5 seconds right ?? Now a days it's -10/-20 Celsius ( sry I dunno what it is in ferenheit)

The high speed needle and idle needle are set properly I have no trouble with thows 2

Btw
I didn't no the pinch method was for the lsn I'll try that n with my cold tempurater ur saying about 4-5 seconds right ?? Now a days it's -10/-20 Celsius ( sry I dunno what it is in ferenheit)

The high speed needle and idle needle are set properly I have no trouble with thows 2

Btw thx u very much for ur advice and sharing your knowledge .. Really appreciated ( this is to everyone too)

Right in cold weather you want the needles to be on the rich side which means more fuel which means the engine will keep running longer after you pinch the fuel line.

Negative -20 Celsius is -4 Fahrenheit. Honestly knowing that, I would be extremely cautious with engine temps. IF you can keep your temps at ~93 Celsius or a bit higher you should be gtg but if your engine isn't at a good operating temp and you get on the throttle much it will wear your engine out really fast, could ruin it.

Last edited:
I'm having the same issues here, to be honest it is not worth the fuss, just wait till it's warmer.

Back