PLEASE HELP! Revo 3.3 wont start! No ignition to glowplug

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew T

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a Traxxas Revo 3.3, that was running flawlessly last night might I add, and now it wont start at all! I can't even get the glow plug to light up. I am pretty familiar with nitro, but this is completely boggling my mind. Here are the details of my situation and hopefully someone with more experience than I can help.

2 days ago I completely removed the engine, transmission, and carb, cleaned them as directed by Traxxas and assembled the truck back together with no problems. I ran the truck yesterday, and with a clean engine, it had never run as good as it did yesterday! However, this morning when I went to crank it up, I got nothing. Didn't turn over once. I started checking the basics and didn't notice anything so I replaced the glowplug, installed a new wire harness (which it needed b/c elec. tape was wrapped around old blue cord) and even bought a new starter box. After everything was installed and assembled...... STILL NOTHING!!

What in the world could have happened over night that would make the truck not run? I can not figure it out for the life of me. Even with the new wire harness and glowplug, when I removed the glowplug and kept it inside the blue cord it didn't even heat up. How is that possible?? What else could it be?? PLEASE HELP.

I went from 55 mph to 0 mph overnight when I was sleeping, smh, lol. Below is a picture of my Revo.

Attachments

• REVO.png
    REVO.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 491
Have you charged the battery for the easy start recently.

Yes I have charged both the battery in the truck and the battery for the started box. Still got nothing.

will the motor spin over at least? if so see if you do you have a seperate glow ignitor you may want to use that instead of the ez-start ignitor

Yes, the motor is spinning and it sounds just like it does whenever it cranks over and turns on. But it just never turns on. I've tried multiple glowplugs to none of them are heating up, even after I installed the new wire harness. What else could I possibly do? Thank you for trying to help me too. Because I'm dumbfounded on this.

that glow ignitor on the ez-start is usually junk you could pull the plug and hook it up to the harness so you can see the glow end and try and start the engine. This way you could see if the plug is glowing or not that would tell you if the wire for the built in ignitor was defective or not. Sounds like to me you are not getting a glow on the plug.

Exactly, I am not getting a glow on a plug and I don't know why. I've replaced all components that I thought it could be and still am not getting a glow.

the glow wire on the harness is not working buy yourself a seperate glow ignitor and use it instead of the one for the harness.

Okay, great I'll try that first thing tomorrow morning. Is it possible to not use the traxxas ez-starter system on the Revo at all?

The ez start wand if fine, but the circuit for the glow plug has ALWAYS been a problem.
Use a separate ignitor and the starter and you'll be fine. I did it that way as long as I had the TMaxx.

Thank you very much. Any recommendations on parts?

Hello everyone,

I have a Traxxas Revo 3.3, that was running flawlessly last night might I add, and now it wont start at all! I can't even get the glow plug to light up. I am pretty familiar with nitro, but this is completely boggling my mind. Here are the details of my situation and hopefully someone with more experience than I can help.

2 days ago I completely removed the engine, transmission, and carb, cleaned them as directed by Traxxas and assembled the truck back together with no problems. I ran the truck yesterday, and with a clean engine, it had never run as good as it did yesterday! However, this morning when I went to crank it up, I got nothing. Didn't turn over once. I started checking the basics and didn't notice anything so I replaced the glowplug, installed a new wire harness (which it needed b/c elec. tape was wrapped around old blue cord) and even bought a new starter box. After everything was installed and assembled...... STILL NOTHING!!

What in the world could have happened over night that would make the truck not run? I can not figure it out for the life of me. Even with the new wire harness and glowplug, when I removed the glowplug and kept it inside the blue cord it didn't even heat up. How is that possible?? What else could it be?? PLEASE HELP.

I went from 55 mph to 0 mph overnight when I was sleeping, smh, lol. Below is a picture of my Revo.
Did you use the same battery in the new starter box as was in the old one? Do you have a bad ground (the yellow wire)

are both green light lit on the ez start wand when you are trying to fire it up? if not I would suggest looking at the yellow ground wire as it may not be earthed properly causing the problem you have stated . another way to test is the remove the glow plug and plug it into the blue wire and ground it against the head , hit the button on the ez start and see if it glows.

ditch the onboard glow ignitor and use a standalone one.

far easier, much more reliable.

Another vote for a standalone igniter,..anyone that owns a glow engine should own at least 2.....

I would also like to add.......
You can buy a pull start for cheap and never have to worry about anything to do with the easy start at all!...no wand,no wires,no extra batterie to charge,and much less weight,...you can even fix a busted pull in the field with no parts 9 out of 10 times easy

even with a pull, fixing the chord is easy...

Just carry a length of light pull chord. strong and cheap and replaces the standard chord without issue. All of my pull starts have light chord in them as all have snapped at some point.

My EB4 has had light chord in the pull since it was 3 weeks old and that is 10 years now....

Back