Please help! Nitro newbie struggling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom8701

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction....

I have just bought an RTX carnage and have been trying to set it up and break the engine in. I followed a few tutorials and the instructions which came with it. Once I managed to get the car started, it was as if the throttle was stuck on (without touching the controller). I have started the car a few times and the same happens, the only way to stop it is to hold on the brake.

After keeping hold of the brake with the engine running, after 30seconds or so there seems to be a bit of smoke so I'm worried that it may overheat. I have tried adjusting the throttle trim on the control but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dom

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction....

I have just bought an RTX carnage and have been trying to set it up and break the engine in. I followed a few tutorials and the instructions which came with it. Once I managed to get the car started, it was as if the throttle was stuck on (without touching the controller). I have started the car a few times and the same happens, the only way to stop it is to hold on the brake.

After keeping hold of the brake with the engine running, after 30seconds or so there seems to be a bit of smoke so I'm worried that it may overheat. I have tried adjusting the throttle trim on the control but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dom
There should be smoke coming out the exhaust, but from nowhere else. Please follow this great guide to get you started:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-rc-beginners-guide.68224/
And then when you get on to tuning your vehicle:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/
Also, I think you may mean the FTX carnage. Would we be able to have a picture or video of the issue?
:)

Last edited:
There should be smoke coming out the exhaust, but from nowhere else. Please follow this great guide to get you started:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-rc-beginners-guide.68224/
And then when you get on to tuning your vehicle:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/
Also, I think you may mean the FTX carnage. Would we be able to have a picture or video of the issue?
:)

It is FTX, oops!

I have had a look through those guides but can't see anything which really matched the problem.

I have not touched any of the screws yet as I was a bit wary of trying to do anything if there was a fault to start with. From the guides I thought it may be worth adjusting the throttle idle screw?

I will try again in an hour and try to film it.

I was hoping that the smoke may just be some nitro residue burning off!

Thanks for the reply!

It is FTX, oops!

I have had a look through those guides but can't see anything which really matched the problem.

I have not touched any of the screws yet as I was a bit wary of trying to do anything if there was a fault to start with. From the guides I thought it may be worth adjusting the throttle idle screw?

I will try again in an hour and try to film it.

I was hoping that the smoke may just be some nitro residue burning off!

Thanks for the reply!
If your car sounds like it idles really slow and jumpy, and then just stops, turn the idle screw up. :)

If your car sounds like it idles really slow and jumpy, and then just stops, turn the idle screw up. :)

It's basically the opposite of that. The car revs like crazy and accelerates without touching the control. I take it that it may be best to turn the throttle the other way to reduce the revs?

I'll hopefully get a video soon.

It's basically the opposite of that. The car revs like crazy and accelerates without touching the control. I take it that it may be best to turn the throttle the other way to reduce the revs?

I'll hopefully get a video soon.
If that's the case then turn it down, but make sure that your linkage is connected :p

If that's the case then turn it down, but make sure that your linkage is connected :p

Cheers, I'll have a go at that and keep you posted.

Really appreciate the help

This is a pic with the air filter out. Does that look relatively normal?
I'm trying to upload the video but i am having trouble. I am uploading it to youtube and will post the link once it is done

This is a pic with the air filter out. Does that look relatively normal?
I'm trying to upload the video but i am having trouble. I am uploading it to youtube and will post the link once it is done

Attachments

• IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 176
I couldn't get the video on here so here is the link to it.

Hopefully might explain things a bit better to someone who knows what they are doing!

It did actually idle for a bit at first on this occasion before the revs started to pick up. I have to then press the brake on the control to make it idle again

I couldn't get the video on here so here is the link to it.

Hopefully might explain things a bit better to someone who knows what they are doing!

It did actually idle for a bit at first on this occasion before the revs started to pick up. I have to then press the brake on the control to make it idle again
It looks like your idle is way to high, turn it down. Looks nice and clean By the way :)
Here's the one you need:
latest?cb=20050626203405.jpg

Last edited:
So your saying that it's revving up by itself? If so, then, if you could take the filter sponge out and do the same thing, but record inside there, that'd be great. Is the servo moving at all? It could either be that the slide is moving open by itself, or something else is going on. Looks nice and clean By the way :) Have you checked whether there are any bubbles in the fuel line, this could also be the issue.

Thanks, I've just actually managed to get it idling and left it for a full tank without having to hold the brake on!! I just adjusted the idler screw a little and it seems to have done the trick! Is it right now to run another 2 tanks through on idle to let it run in?

Also, after it had been running for a while there was fuel spitting out of the exhaust. Is this normal?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks, I've just actually managed to get it idling and left it for a full tank without having to hold the brake on!! I just adjusted the idler screw a little and it seems to have done the trick! Is it right now to run another 2 tanks through on idle to let it run in?

Also, after it had been running for a while there was fuel spitting out of the exhaust. Is this normal?

Sorry for all the questions!
Good to know you've got it fixed, its mostly always something simple. As for fuel spitting out the exhaust, this is caused by your engine running too rich (Too much fuel being put in to the engine, so not all of it is burned) To fix this, follow the tuning guide I linked earlier, It'll help you get your engine running great, and make your car go even faster. Remember, ONLY START TO TUNE THE ENGINE AFTER YOU'VE BROKE THE ENGINE IN COMPLETELY. Also follow the break in steps properly, it may be boring, but will improve the performance and lifespan of your engine, only after you've done that do your tuning :)

And also, it's good to ask questions, you learn more about your car- As your new to the hobby, I'd recommend looking through the manual of your RC and seeing how everything works (Most manuals have the instructions for if your building a kit) Get to know it inside out, It helps you diagnose problems easier once you understand what each part does. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, there are more of us, but they're all across the pond, so probably will reply in the dead of night, which is a good thing, since Rolex is a bit of an odd thing....

Good to know you've got it fixed, its mostly always something simple. As for fuel spitting out the exhaust, this is caused by your engine running too rich (Too much fuel being put in to the engine, so not all of it is burned) To fix this, follow the tuning guide I linked earlier, It'll help you get your engine running great, and make your car go even faster. Remember, ONLY START TO TUNE THE ENGINE AFTER YOU'VE BROKE THE ENGINE IN COMPLETELY. Also follow the break in steps properly, it may be boring, but will improve the performance and lifespan of your engine, only after you've done that do your tuning :)

And also, it's good to ask questions, you learn more about your car- As your new to the hobby, I'd recommend looking through the manual of your RC and seeing how everything works (Most manuals have the instructions for if your building a kit) Get to know it inside out, It helps you diagnose problems easier once you understand what each part does. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, there are more of us, but they're all across the pond, so probably will reply in the dead of night, which is a good thing, since Rolex is a bit of an odd thing....

Hahhaa, thanks a lot.

I'll have a go at tuning once I've got through a few more tanks then. I'll have a look through all the guides properly while I'm waiting for the car to get through these tanks of fuel.

Thanks again for all of your help, just a shame it's going to be back to work before it is run in and I can have a proper play!

Hahhaa, thanks a lot.

I'll have a go at tuning once I've got through a few more tanks then. I'll have a look through all the guides properly while I'm waiting for the car to get through these tanks of fuel.

Thanks again for all of your help, just a shame it's going to be back to work before it is run in and I can have a proper play!
Are you following the break in instructions that came with the CD? Just curious...

Anyways, have fun with your RC once it's broken in and tuned, remember- if there's anything else you need you know where to come :)

Are you following the break in instructions that came with the CD? Just curious...

Anyways, have fun with your RC once it's broken in and tuned, remember- if there's anything else you need you know where to come :)

Half and half really, I'm following the instructions but they say it is ok to run it at slow speeds for the first few tanks but the guy where I bought it said to go through 3 tanks with it just idling, so I thought that is probably the more cautious way to do it. After the 3rd tank I will give it a bit of a run at no more than 50% throttle and then by then hopefully it will be ok. Do you agree with that?

Half and half really, I'm following the instructions but they say it is ok to run it at slow speeds for the first few tanks but the guy where I bought it said to go through 3 tanks with it just idling, so I thought that is probably the more cautious way to do it. After the 3rd tank I will give it a bit of a run at no more than 50% throttle and then by then hopefully it will be ok. Do you agree with that?
There's much debate about how to break in an engine, but 3 tanks of idling is a bit much in my opinion, this is how I'd do it:
1st tank- Idle
2nd tank- small figure of eight, accelerating only on straights, no more than 20% throttle
3rd tank: same as above but increase size and reach 30-50% throttle
4th tank: Larger figure of eight, 50-70% throttle
5th tank: 80% throttle straights
The next 5 tanks: Take it easy, don't go mental with it, but you can go full throttle, just not for huge amounts of time.

Between all those tanks I'd leave it to cool down. :)

There's much debate about how to break in an engine, but 3 tanks of idling is a bit much in my opinion, this is how I'd do it:
1st tank- Idle
2nd tank- small figure of eight, accelerating only on straights, no more than 20% throttle
The next 5 tanks: Take it easy, don't go mental with it, but you can go full throttle, just not for huge amounts of time.

W
1st tank- Idle

Well I've done 2 1/2 tanks at idle and just did it at less than 10% for the last half so I'll go out now and do it a bit quicker!

It seems to be that when I press the brake it cuts out, does that mean I need to increase the idle speed?

Your way sounds like a more fun way to run it in anyway.

W

Well I've done 2 1/2 tanks at idle and just did it at less than 10% for the last half so I'll go out now and do it a bit quicker!

It seems to be that when I press the brake it cuts out, does that mean I need to increase the idle speed?

Your way sounds like a more fun way to run it in anyway.
If your car's stopping when you brake, it means that your linkages are set up wrong. I'd set the throttle trim on your remote to the middle, then set your idle again :)

You need to adjust the idle screw with the trim set at zero and the brake fully engaged. The brake is on the same servo as the throttle, so if it doesn't stop with the idle screw it will close too much during braking.
Another tip is to stop the engine at BDC, or Bottom Dead Center after each tank and let all the metal cool. When the piston is all the way down, put a mark on top of the flywheel and manually put it in that position after each run. Below is an example.

bdc.jpg

If your car's stopping when you brake, it means that your linkages are set up wrong. I'd set the throttle trim on your remote to the middle, then set your idle again :)

Great, like you say I will run it in properly first and then have a mess around to try and sort this problem.

You need to adjust the idle screw with the trim set at zero and the brake fully engaged. The brake is on the same servo as the throttle, so if it doesn't stop with the idle screw it will close too much during braking.
Another tip is to stop the engine at BDC, or Bottom Dead Center after each tank and let all the metal cool. When the piston is all the way down, put a mark on top of the flywheel and manually put it in that position after each run. Below is an example.

View attachment 16843
I will try the first option first before I start going too deep into it when I'm just starting out!
Thanks so much for the advice, it's really helped me getting up and running!