Nitro Car dies when I brake

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCP

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a nitro car that is fairly new and at first it was not starting so I leaned it out and adjusted throttle trim. It started up but then took right off, now I have stopped that from happening but it still revs high and tries to move a little and I put on some throttle and when at about 8+mph it does not slowly stop when I let off of the throttle it just keeps on going so I put on the brake and it always dies. Can someone explain why this does this and how to fix it, thanks.

If it dies when you apply the brakes, most likely the carb is closing completely. You need to make sure that when the brakes are applied you have a 1-2mm gap. It also sounds like you have it running too lean, and/or your linkages are not adjusted properly. What type of car is it?

If it dies when you apply the brakes, most likely the carb is closing completely. You need to make sure that when the brakes are applied you have a 1-2mm gap. It also sounds like you have it running too lean, and/or your linkages are not adjusted properly. What type of car is it?
Ok. It is a .28 exceed rc madfire

I also have just been adjusting the linkage with the throttle trim on the remote, not the idle screw because it's not the easiest to get to..... Does that have to do with anything or no?

Using the trim means the throttle position still changes when you move the lever on your transmitter. It's easiest to remove the air filter so you can see what is happening. Set the gap as mentioned with the idle screw and with trim at it's neutral point. Then watch to make sure it does not close when applying the brake. Use the trim to open the carb slightly for easier cold starts.

Using the trim means the throttle position still changes when you move the lever on your transmitter. It's easiest to remove the air filter so you can see what is happening. Set the gap as mentioned with the idle screw and with trim at it's neutral point. Then watch to make sure it does not close when applying the brake. Use the trim to open the carb slightly for easier cold starts.
I have tried to do that so the carb doesn't close but I have it maxed out and it still closes. It only keeps 1mm if I have it on half throttle sensitive....?

You need to set everything middle on the transmitter, turn the car on, then take the whole horn off and put it back on straight. After you had done this adjust the idle with the screw on the carburetor to 1-2mm (with the air filter off) and then you should be good to go.

I'm a little bit confused, when I make the horn straight it puts on the brakes and closes the carb and when I turn the idle screw clockwise at 1-2mm neutral it locks it up so that it stays on 1-2mm when I apply the brakes or throttle....? Is that what is supposed to be doing? also when I turn the idle screw counterclockwise it releases it so that when I apply the throttle it opens up fully and when I apply the brakes it closes entirely. If I continue turning it counterclockwise it doesn't do anything except for coming completely out of the carb if I do a couple turns.

I'm a little bit confused, when I make the horn straight it puts on the brakes and closes the carb and when I turn the idle screw clockwise at 1-2mm neutral it locks it up so that it stays on 1-2mm when I apply the brakes or throttle....? Is that what is supposed to be doing? also when I turn the idle screw counterclockwise it releases it so that when I apply the throttle it opens up fully and when I apply the brakes it closes entirely. If I continue turning it counterclockwise it doesn't do anything except for coming completely out of the carb if I do a couple turns.
Watch this video, then try setting the gap- I didn't quite understand what you just said, but by the sounds of things it sounds like somethings sticking, loose, or you've stripped a thread.

Watch this video, then try setting the gap- I didn't quite understand what you just said, but by the sounds of things it sounds like somethings sticking, loose, or you've stripped a thread.
Ok I watched the video, when I apply the brakes it stays at 1-2mm which is good but when I put on the throttle it moves and doesn't come back to the 1-2mm point. It is getting stuck somehow...

Ok I watched the video, when I apply the brakes it stays at 1-2mm which is good but when I put on the throttle it moves and doesn't come back to the 1-2mm point. It is getting stuck somehow...
Are you sure it's not the servo? Have you tried taking the linkage to the carb off and going full open, then letting go- is it returning to how it was before?
Also check that the slide hasn't got any resistance when you pull it?
Also, did you set everything middle on the transmitter, turn the car on, then take the whole horn off and put it back on straight. After you had done this adjust the idle with the screw on the carburetor to 1-2mm (with the air filter off)?.

You'll need to disconnect the linkage, for starters, till you know the carb slide isn't sticking. If that's not tracking smoothly, due to wear or dirt, nothing you adjust can change that.
When everything is moving smoothly you'll need to adjust the idle gap with the brakes fully applied and the trim all the way off.