Newbie asking for help getting started... t-maxx or revo or?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetfft

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi All;

I'm new to the nitro world, I've had numerous electrics and I'm ready to jump into this world.

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times butt bear with me...

I'm after a RTR electric starting 4wd basher. I don't have plans to race, just to tear it up and have some fun with my son and teach him engines & electronics in the process.

1. New vs Used on ebay - obvious pros n cons, take a chance on ebay and save some bucks or just cut out the hassle and buy new? If I do look into used what are the key things to avoid? I realize with ebay it's buyer beware, as-is, but are there any real red flags one should be aware of?

2. In my area Traxxas has the hobby stores in their pocket, no parts for other brands are carried. Any reason not to go with a Traxxas brand?

3. If I go Traxxas is the Revo 3.3 worth that much more than a t-maxx 3.3? It seems that the t-maxx has a huge amount of tuning parts available as opposed to the Revo. Should I go T-maxx or jump ahead into the Revo world?

any opinions are welcome!

thanks!

dave

It's always a risk buying used nitros simply because you have no idea how the engine was treated until you physically see it run. Whenever buying used, add the cost of a new engine to the price. Not to mention wear and tear on drive components. Traxxas is a good brand, and as you stated, most hobby shops stock their parts. But the Savage is the king of bashers, hands down. Hpi definitely over-builds their products.

The main difference between the T-Maxx and the Revo is the suspension. The Revo is built using suspension technology found in Indy and Formula 1 cars. It's handling is second to none. It is decently tough out of the box. Parts as you know can be found almost anywhere.

That being said, it is not as tough as the Savage is. The Savage is as tough as brick but also handles like.

My first nitro rig was the original Revo 3.3 and I would recommend it to any first timer.

I would normally say get a Savage 4.6, but in your case I'd have to recommend you go with the Revo since that's all your the hobby shops carry.

I would go with a revo over a maxx any day of the week. Far more durable out of the box and makes for a capable basher or racer.

If you buy on ebay, assume the engine is junk and price accordingly. Getting a revo roller on ebay isn't a bad way to start. The diffs/trans hold up pretty well with little or no maintenance required for a long time. The stock radio stinks as do the servos. Most upgrade those out of the box anyway if they are into RC at all.

buy one new i bought a tmaxx new and it was junk and revos r okay i go with the jato if you can control it

The Jato is definitely not a truck for the beginner. They are very fragile and are overpowered. A better bet is the Savage, T-Maxx or Revo.

Back