new to the sport

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianr2011

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've been really interest in rc rock crawling for a long time now i already have a nitro truck and on-road electric car now its time for something a little more slow. I've looked everywhere on the internet at all the different trucks they have out now. What would be a good starter truck for someone new to rc rock crawling? and remember I'm not a complete noob so i have some experience with rc just not the rock crawling. Just dont wanna waste my money on a crappy rig. So i decided to ask the pros!

i love my scx10, but its not really a full on crawler. next time around if it were me id say a wraith with a 55t motor, or a ax10... I've seen a few cc01 tamiyas around lately but i duno how they perform.

definately dont get the hpi crawler king, its more like radio shack quality compared to the rest. imo.

I have an axial wraith and I love it!!! They are not as "Customizable" as the SCX-10. But the SCX-10 isn't really made for crawling, it's a trail truck. They wraith IMO is in between a Trail Truck and a True Crawler. You can't go wrong with either.

But of course I would go Wraith :)

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

i love both of those and yeah i know about the hpi one lol and i also dont really want one where its built for competitions. i want one thats got a similar to real scale chassis so it can be customized with whatever really. what about the kits that www.rc4wd.com has? they all look pretty sick i think

RC4WD.com has lots of cool things. I use some of their parts on my SCX-10/JK project.

If you want to have it look realistic get a SCX-10. Amazing!

I've been looking at those for a while they seem pretty good they have a lot of upgrades an stuff. I'm thinking bout the scx-10 with that silver rubicon body not sure yet. I've wanted a tamiya high-lift f-350 since forever and the prices have really dropped lately on them. I found one where you can get the kit, receiver, chargers, batterys, servos an all that good stuff for about $790 brand new

I've been looking at those for a while they seem pretty good they have a lot of upgrades an stuff. I'm thinking bout the scx-10 with that silver rubicon body not sure yet. I've wanted a tamiya high-lift f-350 since forever and the prices have really dropped lately on them. I found one where you can get the kit, receiver, chargers, batterys, servos an all that good stuff for about $790 brand new

Do you want it because of the look? You can get a ton of stuff for the scx10 to make it look just like that. But for the Tamiya it will be $790 plus a motor and esc. Then another couple hundred to customize it.
Here is the scx10 with a f350 body.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

me7a7u7a.jpg

you sir just saved me a great sum of money. thank you lol because that looks awesome. i think i will get the scx10

The SCX-10 is a great kit and it goes together well. Axial includes great step-by-step instructions.

You can't go wrong with either Axial or RC4WD. I'm more of an Axial guy just because of the quality product/service I've always gotten from them. The new Rubicon will be coming out in a kit form soon enough if your into building as well

you sir just saved me a great sum of money. thank you lol because that looks awesome. i think i will get the scx10

Your welcome! If I had to do it again I would go scx10. I do love my wraith. But I want to be able to have different bodies and all that good stuff

my girlfriend says I'm dumb for wastin all sorts of money on these things an I'm like at least i do somethin cool instead playing with hair an make-up all day long hahaha what you guys think?

lol i get the your crazy from people who dont care about rc at all. just about everyone i work with.

id wait for the jeep kit if you can, aluminum links, aluinum shocks(axials still but hey). and its the honcho wheelbase. were as the dingo is slightly shorter wheelbase and doesn't come with the aluminum shocks. then check out dollarhobbys for the stock electrics save yourself a lil money and have a better rig.

Everyone gets that. Don't worry :)

okay cool thanks guys i really appreciate the tips. in the area i live in i can count the number of other people who have these things as a hobby on one hand and it really sucks. The closest LHS is about a 45 minute ride at least from where i live. I live in a very rural area. I have the area and terrain to do it all on my own land just dont know anybody close to this area to have this hobby an the few i do they're always busy : / its lame out here haha but again guys thanks!

I have a wraith that is fully built, and running brushless power! It is also my trail comp rig! I really like the wraith, and I also like the scx10's! Depends what you want, sounds like the scx10 with a truck hard body is for you as for the look. But for rock crawling its not the ticket! For dedicated rock crawling look at maybe a axial xr10, or something like that! I'm not a fan of the tamiya cc01 chassis! Look cool but again its a trail style rig with minimal performance, of course this is just my opinion!