need help from the car audio guys

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgbdwlf2500

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm stuck between two choices of subs. Orion hcca or jl audio 12w7. I've never heard either but sur3fir3 says the w7 is insane. Looking at power handling and price of subs id rather spend a little more and get 2 hccas than spend almost the same amount on a single and be disappointed because in my head there's no way that a single w7 could be as loud as 2 hccas. So there's my dilemma, I don't want to buy subs twice. I listen to everything so I need them to be clean as well as be loud when I want them to be. Hopefully someone here has heard both but there is nowhere local to me to be able to hear either one.

Power is not a problem
IMG_20130628_115537_165.jpg

MTX RFL!...if you've got a few bucks, and wouldn't mind kissing your ear drums goodbye....you'll need a bigger amp than that I think, it's been a while since I had a pair of RFLs...or a big enough vehicle to mount them in.

I just looked it up. The 15" rfl has the same power handling as an hcca 12" and weighs less. They also say it pure spl so itll sound like crap playing music...not an option

Last edited:
Ya I had them in a white suburban, a long while back, they're kinda good for bass and that's about it, it had so much bass that that's almost all you heard. It made listening to rock music suck!

That's what I'm trying not to do. Trying to have the ability to do that but also have clean sound

Personally out of the two, w7's hands down for me. On loudness, there is no replacement for displacement.
What rig are they going in?

A camry...but that's what I was saying I'm not going to buy 2 w7s. They cost too much so it was either a single w7 or 2 hccas

Personally, for general music listening, I'd go for the two smaller subs rather than the single larger sub.

The W7's would be my choice, hands down. spend a bit more coin and you will be alot happier

Agreed. If your going for SQ but also what bump, the w7's, even one vs 2 orions will likely sound better in the proper box. Smaller subs vs bigger subs is not an issue these days. A quality 18" will hit harder with rock music than a lesser quality 10 or 12, size doesn't matter any more.
One w7 will let you make a proper encloser too instead of having to make one for two which would limit them.

I ended up buying two hccas before seeing yalls opinions. If I don't like them I should be able to get enough money back out of them for a jl.