Need battery charging info...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I haven't been keeping up with my batteries for quite a while and today I decided to revive a couple of Tenergy 7.2v 3800mAh NiMh packs. The first one showed a low reading on my Super Brain 977 and took a charge with no problem. The other matching pack only read 0.00 and when I hit "Charge" it shows "Error". In the manual it states that any batteries that read zero will neither charge nor discharge.
I seem to remember jump starting a dead nicad battery many years ago with a wall charger, enough that it put a little voltage into the battery and the charger would now recognize it and start.
Any other suggestions on salvaging it?

If you have access to an old school charger that uses a timer and takes no reading from the pack, you may be able to force feed it some juice which may revive it enough to work on your modern charger. Same principle as the wall charger you mentioned.

I've done this a few times back in my nimh days and it worked everytime.

If you have access to an old school charger that uses a timer and takes no reading from the pack, you may be able to force feed it some juice which may revive it enough to work on your modern charger. Same principle as the wall charger you mentioned.

I've done this a few times back in my nimh days and it worked everytime.

As little as I run my r/c's I still have to do this to my rx packs. :(

I might have to make something out of an old wall pack. I haven't had a timer charger since my Tamiya days in the 80s.
If you smell smoke, hear an explosion and see me running, try to keep up.

What are you going to do with charged batteries?

You'll be okay. It's been raining for 2 days so this side of it is too soaked to burn.
If the batteries smoked on Rolex's side of the mountain, would they Kentucky Fried Batteries?

What are you going to do with charged batteries?
LMFAO!!
Just as you thought, absolutely nothing, other than try to keep them alive.

If the batteries smoked on Rolex's side of the mountain, would they Kentucky Fried Batteries?
No they wouldn't. Since we're not in Kentucky I'm guessing they'd be Tennessee Tenergy Tinder.

LMFAO!!
Just as you thought, absolutely nothing, other than try to keep them alive.

That's good to hear, I was worried your alzheimers was acting up again and you actually believed you still ran your rc's

That's good to hear, I was worried your alzheimers was acting up again and you actually believed you still ran your rc's
No, that would mean that he would have to miss his naps polishing and cleaning them.

Speaking of Alzheimer's, I was rummaging around looking for some soldering flux and tucked away in the bottom drawer of a tool box was a beautiful Thunder AC680 charger that I had gotten a few years ago for a big LiFe battery. Well, I made a few connections, looked up the manual and now that stubborn NiMh 3800 is charging to its heart's content. It's been running for almost 20 minutes now and the battery currently reads 6.92V. I think I lucked out.
Very cool. While checking out a demo on YouTube I found out that it has a USB connection and is programmable through the computer.
It installs a program that allows you to set and monitor what's going on with all types of batteries.

speaking of soldering flux, I bought one of those no drip refillable flux pens and its soooo much easier to work with and much less messy! you guys should check em out if you havent already. I got mine from amazon.

I need some advise. Anyone know of a good forum?
I thought I'd test those 7.2v 3800MaH batts since they were purchased together for the big Humm-Vee I was building. They run in tandem in it, and after hooking everything up I could use the steering, brake and shift servo but no throttle. I was checking the settings in the radio when the servos slowed down and quit after less than 10 minutes.
Could the lack of throttle be due to not enough power from the batts? Same reason I had no power after a short time?
NiMh won't cycle back to life, will they? One of them hit 148 degrees before it was finished.

Went to HobbyTown today. My batts are toast and they were never used for anything other than testing the servos. The Humm-Vee only ran about 20 feet under power and that was almost 4 years ago. I picked up a pair of Onyx 3000s and I'm charging them now.

u need to get a temp sensor for your charger, to make sure that your batteries dont get that hot, unless you meant they got that hot during use which would mean that either the pack(s) were shorting out or they were getting over worked so bad that it fried them.

Back