Mini Cooper

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I just found this.........

I recently purchased a new Mini Cooper S and was surprised to read in the owner’s manual that the break-in period for the engine is 1,200 miles. Until I reach 1,200 miles, I am supposed to vary my speed frequently, keep the tachometer under 4,000 rpm and keep the speed under 95 mph. I am not looking for a reason to circumvent the break-in period, but I am really curious as to why the break-in period is so long. What’s going on in the engine during this time? — David

RAY: This is when the gerbils are in training, David. As I’m sure you know, they run around on their wheel, and that’s what makes the car go. But until they can build up their leg muscles, they can only do about 4,000 rpm. So give ’em a break, will ya? [MORE]

Eddy - I worked in the Automotive Business for 5 years. That is about average as far as break in proceedures. The norm is for the first 4 tanks of fuel. Figure 300 miles per tank = 1200 miles.

The reason for this is just like an RC engine, the tolerances are tight at teh beginning, and they want the metals and seals to wear in smoothly. The reason for the variation of speed and why not to use the cruise control is that they want all the moving parts in the engine and drivetrain to break in evenly, and not more so at one particular rpm level. The new MAF sensors in most 03 and newer automobiles will now also register a reading of escessive RPM in the first 20 hours of engine running and trip the check engine light, so that the service dept can tell if escessive over revving has occured during break in which can lead to warrenty issue later.

me too - but i figured u would want a good response to go along with your funny one, lol.

Not only that but you said you got the mini cooper s, so it has a suppercharger on it. With forced induction the motor will not last as long as the not "s".
The 1200 miles could be to prolong the motor's life. But I'm not sure what the normal amout of miles are for any other car.

Last edited:
I would just obey the break-in and as long as your warentee is good....just enjoy the hell out of that car. I really think they are a cool and diffrent car. When i first saw a few original coopers in germany 4 years ago i wanted one. Then BMW came out with them. I still have my eye on them Good Luck!
5852002-Hamann-Cooper-s-1.jpg

my sister had that car...her husband actually won it in some kind of raffle at his job. i thought it was kinda cool at first but they are soooo small. way to small for my tastes. and damn they are expensive. she sold that little thing with like 200 miles on it for about 17 grand. (mind you thats a used one)
that was all profit for her. pretty sweet.

I don't know why so many people hate these things...I think they are sweey lil cars.

-Michael

I like them to they are cool lil cars i wanted my mom to get one but she ended up getting a different car. The reason being it was to small for carpool.

Back