Malwarebytes blocking install

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
When I try to install some small freeware programs I'll get a popup that's Malware bites has found "Non Malware".
Naturally it's listed as a PUP, but the installation won't continue. How can I get around this? It's freeware through Tucows so I know it's safe.

It's freeware through Tucows so I know it's safe.
Nothing in this line suggests it's "safe" but if you want to install it anyways you can disable Malwarebytes and/or your anti-virus program.

I looked in Malwarebytes as soon as I realized it wouldn't install, but I found no way of disabling it temporarily to do an install by bypassing them.
I was trying to get a simple program to make icons for my desktop. Know of any freebies that will do that?
Here's one I made for this site a couple of years ago but it was on a trial period only.

RCNT.jpg

Okay, I found how to disable it and ignore the PUP. I unchecked all the crap using the advanced install button, but still got hit with a bitchin' browser hijack called Cassiopesia...(I think that's how it was spelled)
Anyway, I got an Avast warning about it, then used Revo Uninstaller to totally remove it and then restored my settings.
Once the icon creator program was installed I reset my Malwarebytes settings.
I'm pretty sure that's the first time I had a problem with a download from Tucows.

Cassiopesa is what it's called and not only is it a Browser hijacker but it's also a nasty virus. You can NOT uncheck it to stop it from getting in.
I thought I had it all out since I got my browser back, but this morning I got warnings from both Malwarebytes and Avast about it.
All is well, now but unfortunately I've lost some of my trust in Tucows.

Remove Cassiopesa.com from Chrome/Firefox/IE | virusresearch.org

All is well, now but unfortunately I've lost some of my trust in Tucows.
It's not so much Tucows themselves as they aren't the ones making the software or necessarily adding the crap into the software but the software developer.

Here is a good article discussing this very issue, they used Download.com as an example but it isn't just them that are effected by this adware - http://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/

"There are also no safe freeware download sites… because as you can clearly see in the screenshots in this article, it isn’t just CNET Downloads that is doing the bundling… it’s EVERYBODY. The freeware authors are bundling crapware, and then lousy download sources are bundling even more on top of it. It’s a cavalcade of crapware...

...Because when the product is free the real product is YOU.
"

I don't often go with freeware, but when I do I ALWAYS choose the advanced option so I can block all the garbage that comes with it.
In this case there's no stopping it. Fortunately I keep myself well protected with Avast, Malwarebytes and Revo Uninstaller, so even if something gets in I can still get it all out. I installed Malwarebytes a couple of years ago on your recommendation. I have the licensed version.

Excellent article you linked to. CNET and Tucows are the only sites I use and they both have problems.

Last edited:
Rolex, have a look at a program called "Hitman Pro"...

Good piece of kit and they also offer a browser protecting add-on that stops various things.

Worth a look and great at removing malware and other sh*tware from your system.

I've got a great way to get rid of Malware:
Armor branch mouse.jpg

damn shame, that looks a fun piece of hardware.

Thanks for that info. Here's something I found there:

Ninite is a free tool that automatically downloads, installs, and updates various Windows programs for you, skipping past the evil toolbar offers. For Windows users, Ninite is arguably the only really safe place to get freeware.

I've used Ninite a lot and so far have no complaints about it.

I just tried Ninite and installed WinRAR and Spybot. Ran it again and it updated the installations. Quick and absolutely painless.
Very cool.

Back