macstar 28P

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

turbo button or standard

• turbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • standard

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys so i got myself a hobao macstar .28P engine, i have the standard plug version would it be worth buying the turbo button head, i can get it for £13

what are the pros/cons of turbo vs standard and also performance differences

You could just buy a turbo plug instead- all a turbo plug does is increases the compression in the cylinder, they have a taper on the end rather than being flat- so they also seal better. The pros of a turbo plug are better performance, and the cons are that they are more expensive than standard plugs, they also may slightly decrease the life of the engine by putting extra strain on the internals engine, that includes bearings, con rod, crankshaft and piston. On some engines they also make it easier to tune. Although, the performance gains differ per engine. On your particular engine, that being a relatively standard engine- not a £250+ engine, you may not notice the difference and you may also increase risk of failure. Having a good tune and setup is key to having a good running nitro, it's not all just about mods :)

You could just buy a turbo plug instead- all a turbo plug does is increases the compression in the cylinder, they have a taper on the end rather than being flat- so they also seal better. The pros of a turbo plug are better performance, and the cons are that they are more expensive than standard plugs, they also may slightly decrease the life of the engine by putting extra strain on the internals engine, that includes bearings, con rod, crankshaft and piston. On some engines they also make it easier to tune. Although, the performance gains differ per engine. On your particular engine, that being a relatively standard engine- not a £250+ engine, you may not notice the difference and you may also increase risk of failure. Having a good tune and setup is key to having a good running nitro, it's not all just about mods :)
i was asking if it was worth buying the turbo button head or keep it standard a turbo plug will not work with a standard head

i was asking if it was worth buying the turbo button head or keep it standard a turbo plug will not work with a standard head
Do you race? As it's pointless spending the money as you may not notice a huge difference, and risk shortening the life of your engine.

from what i saw from the specs the claimed RPM with the standard head is 32000RPM and with turbo 38-42000 RPM

i don't race except against my friends occasionally just want to squeeze as much power as i can for my savage although

i did read that it can be annoying finding a turbo plug that seats properly and some turbo heads have a tendency to wear on the taper so the seal can diminish

few pics and a video of first tank
videos currently uploading
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG

( I'm not sure i even understand what i just typed )

Last edited:
from what i saw from the specs the claimed RPM with the standard head is 32000RPM and with turbo 38-42000 RPM

i don't race except against my friends occasionally just want to squeeze as much power as i can for my savage although

i did read that it can be annoying finding a turbo plug that seats properly and some turbo heads have a tendency to wear on the taper so the seal can diminish

few pics and a video of first tank
videos currently uploading
View attachment 16793 View attachment 16794 View attachment 16795

( I'm not sure i even understand what i just typed )
I'd wait until you get a feel for the new engine before you turbo plug it. It's still new, I'd get it well worn in before turbo plugging it :)

here is another video, breakin is pretty much done, engine temp was perfect, plenty of smoke, performance tuning coming up when i run it next

here is another video, breakin is pretty much done, engine temp was perfect, plenty of smoke, performance tuning coming up when i run it next

Looks like it's going well, but I wouldn't leave the glow igniter in all the time, or is that a permanent one that is engaged via switch?

Looks like it's going well, but I wouldn't leave the glow igniter in all the time, or is that a permanent one that is engaged via switch?

its my onboard one i disabled the wire to activate it from the tx and just use the push button stops it coming on when i engage reverse

its my onboard one i disabled the wire to activate it from the tx and just use the push button stops it coming on when i engage reverse
That's ok then, it's just having it on whilst running can burn out the glow plugs :)