Let's Shave!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The progress is also adjustable :thumbup:

I might try this on the rare occasion that I use a blade. My problem is two fold, though;

-fast healing & very tough skin
-finer hair

So, if I take it down below skin level, basically the skin will overgrow the follicle in a matter of hours, and the fine hair has trouble busting back through, so I end up with ingrowns in a heartbeat. Doesn't see to matter what kind of products I use. Razors don't irritate my skin unless I shave dry, but due to the aforementioned issue, I pretty much only use an electric trimmer with the guard removed. So I have 5 O'clock shadow pretty much all the time, but as a self-employed mechanic, that matters not. I only take it down all the way with a good reason.

I might try one as well. After reading these testimonials, I'm tempted to dig out one of my grandpa's old DE shavers and give it a go. I was always afraid I'd carve up my face with those things so I steered clear of them.

Speaking of which: Gillette Adjustable (one is as low as $30, but you need to act quick - 30mins left) and Merkur Progressive.

I might try one as well. After reading these testimonials, I'm tempted to dig out one of my grandpa's old DE shavers and give it a go. I was always afraid I'd carve up my face with those things so I steered clear of them.

They sound more dangerous than they really are. There isn't much to them and you'll get a far better shave than any cartridge you've tried before.

The new razor showed up yesterday and it was interesting! I pulled my shiney new tool out of the box and couldn't wait to try it. I have read a ton of info and watched videos about using a DE razor and I'm glad I did. Not putting pressure and handling a razor that doesn't have a pivot head were the most important IMO. The sound of that blade cutting the hair was intimidating and very cool at the same time, I have never be so careful shaving LOL. I ended up with a great shave and only two very slight nicks both on my chin, I nick that area with the disposables too because of my cleft chin. I think I got that figured out so I'm looking forward to my next shave.

The Merkur Progress

Merkur_zps6bde9fdd.jpg

You guys almost have me convinced to try this out! I've been using an electric forever because my neck area always gets ingrown hairs and ends up looking all red and blotchy. I'm still a bit apprehensive to make the leap though.

VB I have the same problem, my neck is always irritated and has bumps. I'll let you know if it goes away after I use this for a while.

^^LOL, he's probably out scavenging road kill or something important.

Pete, I was wrong, what I have is a Gillette super adjustable, and I was going to recommend you hit ebay to see if you can find one. But they're bringing silly prices it turns out. But I do highly recommend an adjustable, as it makes all the difference in the world. Here's a couple of pics, and I think it's sad that we don't make things like we used to anymore. This thing is close to 50 years old, but still gives the best shave I've ever had, each and every time.
thumbup.gif

cZB6sa7.jpg

FEoiqyo.jpg

7T09hYv.jpg

Randy i picked one of these up in gold trim at a yard sale last weekend for 4 bux, gotta pick up some blades, soap and a brush.:D

@SMaxxin - great choice on the Progressive. A VERY popular razor. I wouldn't go crazy on trying a bunch of adjustments right away. But it sounds like you're off to a great start and it only gets better!

@vbgagnon - I had the same issue with my neck. I'd always have 3,4,5,6 ingrown hair bumps and sensitive skin. Using a DE razor has cleared all the ingrown hairs away and is much easier on my neck for sure as it's far less blades running across my skin. Try it out you'll be happy you did.

Last edited:
Randy i picked one of these up in gold trim at a yard sale last weekend for 4 bux, gotta pick up some blades, soap and a brush.:D

That's one heck of a deal! I like Derby blades myself, and you can get 'em cheap online. The Escali pure badger brush is very reasonable also for a pure badger brush. Grab a chepo stoneware bowl at wally world and you're good to go.

So far I have learned that I can use a blade twice, on the third try things get rough!

Whats the best shaving soap to buy for sensitive skin?

Before I used this razor for the first time I still had red bumps/burns from the last time I shaved with the Gillette fusion proglide. After three shaves with the single blade I have no bumps or red patches on my neck, even after using the blade that wasn't cutting very well! There is a learning curve to this, I have to hit the same spot a couple of time once in a while and I put a few nicks here and there. The angle you hold the razor at is crucial.

Whats the best shaving soap to buy for sensitive skin?

As soon as I figure that out I'll let you know! I will admit my skin feels a lot better than it did when I was using the other razor, I'm still using my Gillette Fusion hydro Gel ultra sensitive for now.

Last edited:
I've heard the Proraso red shaving soap is good for sensitive skin. I have the Proraso red cream and it does a good job, but I like the Taylor of Old Bond Street better.

After trying a few different blades I found one that my razor and my face likes! From what I have read and have been told, different razors like different blades...no two are exactly alike. I was told this before I bought my razor which is why I bought a sampler pack of blades. I got four good shaves out of a feather blade and on the fourth shave it still felt great!

The other key to success is pre shave, getting your face prepped makes a huge difference!

You guys almost have me convinced to try this out! I've been using an electric forever because my neck area always gets ingrown hairs and ends up looking all red and blotchy. I'm still a bit apprehensive to make the leap though.

VB I can honestly say that since switching to this razor I have no ingrown hairs, no razor burn/bumps, no red blotchy spots! It does take some getting used to and you must take your time but it's worth it IMO!

Last edited:
This may sound funny and odd...but the best aftershave I have ever found is Windex with Ammonia ! yes it stings a little, but say good by to razor rash for good !

Well I took the plunge about a week ago...I enjoy shaving, and get 0 ingrown hairs, but I don't find that its a very close shave. I can still feel the stubble, and it doesn't look like a good close shave. My electric seems to give me a closer shave.

I have been using mine for about a week, with regular shave cream,(still waiting on what i ordered) Its taking some getting use to but i think i finally figured out the setting on my razor, i think i will enjoy it alot better once i get the correct soap