Keurig Addict

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedly

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I don't know about you other coffee drinkers out there, but since I just recently got my hands on my first Keurig coffee maker I have not slept. It goes well with college, but that reusable K-cup calls my name just mins after my cup is empty.

Then, the other day it happened, I caught myself considering putting it right here next to me, at my work desk. Needless to say great restraint has granted me the ability to leave the wonderful out in the kitchen.

I really thought the Keurig and I would take it slow being a new relationship and all, but my feelings for it has exceeded my ability to damper our relationship.... I have been bent to its will.

keurig.png

I buy ONLY whole bean Colombian, Arabica blend dark roast and grind it myself for brewing in an electric percolator.
My home coffee makes Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks taste like paint stripper.

Same here! I started grinding my own coffee right before getting the Keurig. I get big bags of beans at Sams Club, Arabica as well, dark roast. Although I had to get the grinding thing down, I kept grinding it too fine at first and my Keurig would over flow / not brew right, but I mastered the ol' grinder and things have been sweet since.

You NAILED it!!! I get the same coffee at Sam's Club. It's the best I've ever found. When I lived in New York I got the same coffee, different brand name in Costco.
I've been grinding my own for over 20 years and I'm so spoiled by the flavor that I can't even order coffee in a restaurant any more.
I get tea.

Grinding your own is the only way. Another Sam's Club Whole-Bean Arabica coffee addict. My grinder is a Mr. Coffee that can selectively change the coarseness pf the grind with a selector. I brew mine in a Bunn Home Drip Coffee maker.

Dammit Nedly why did you have to start a thread about coffee, now I have to buy beans and a grinder!

BTW that Keurig likes filtered or bottled water, we have hard water and it killed my wife's first Keurig.

Try the Bob Marley coffee I thought it would be a gimmick, but I rather enjoy it. Also every Sumatra I've had I enjoy as well, don't matter what brand either.

I've been grinding my own for over 20 years and I'm so spoiled by the flavor that I can't even order coffee in a restaurant any more.
I get tea.

Boy can I agree with that, my wife is like you want a free coffee I got a rewards for big apple for one and I say...nope. LOL. My only alternative is dunkin donuts, but they don't compare anymore either...

Dammit Nedly why did you have to start a thread about coffee, now I have to buy beans and a grinder!

BTW that Keurig likes filtered or bottled water, we have hard water and it killed my wife's first Keurig.

If your not having some whole bean than your nitro probably does not smell right in the morning. LOL! You are missing out!
Thanks for the advice! We have hard'ish' water at about 120 tds. So it is not as hard as city water, but I will keep an eye on that, I already soften water for my aquarium so I might have the Keuirg join that club.

I use filtered water for my coffee, but still have to de-lime and clean the sprinkler head on the Bunn about every 3-4 weeks.

Someone mentioned Coffee???
I seldom leave home without it…
I normally will drink 75 oz every work day before noon, then make a fresh pot when I get home from work.
Heres one of my little cups
BBCoffeeMug_zps447b8e58.gif

I also have a Bunn drip maker in my hobby workshop.
I can drink coffee @ 10pm and sleep like a baby so I guess you could say I’m a coffee junkie.
(Coffee, the legal drug)

My coffee maker is burbling happily away as we speak.

Those Bunns are nice. It looks like Snook Man is the big coffee drinker! Ha! I cannot sleep on it that is for sure, I was up until 2am last night, ranting with the wife she finally goes "I'm exhausted" and I say no your not, your not even tired. Then she informed me it was 2am. I responded so it is coffee time right? LOL.

Speaking of coffees I always hated the flavored kinds. They are weird right? Like leave a filmy nasty taste. So I had given to me a "life is good banana bread coffee" and I tried it. I made it a sip in and dumped the rest, it was really gross. Well we buy flavored milks from a local farm that still sells it old school glass jar and all, usually we return about 4 bottles for a free bottle. Blueberry is one I have all the time, and I dropped some into my coffee one day and I have to say, it was delicious.

It was unlike any of the flavored coffees thats for sure.

I don't drink as much as Snook but not far off. I also drink it after supper and have no problem sleeping!

I even go so far as to make my own mocha/lattes because my coffee tastes better than most of the chain coffee shops.

Everyone got into flavored coffees for a while, but I tired of them quickly. Flavors make up for using cheap coffee.
The problem with Keurig machines is that they've become one of the nations biggest blights on landfills. So many offices use them and billions of those plastic cups get tossed every year.

I'm just finishing up a huge mug of my coffee now, and I'm thinking maybe I'll bring out my French press for a change of pace.

My sister actually likes using my coffee grounds and filters ground up on her roses so it doesn't go to the landfill.

My wife uses a reusable cup for her Keurig so no waste here, I won't use anything that does one cup at a time!

I'm about to shop for a coffee grinder, any tips or suggestions?

Get a Krups grinder. I had a white one for almost 20 years, then got a black one just for a change. That one's been grinding for over 15 years now. You can get it in Macy's or Bed Bugs and Beyond for 20 bux.

1729473_fpx.jpg

I have a Mr. Coffee burr-type grinder which is like the ones in the bigger coffee shops. I got it at Target for about $30.

That Krups grinder is what I use. It works well but it does not have grinding settings like fancier ones. And it is easy to make a mess with it lol.

I use the re-usable K-cup too. My reason at first was not land fills though now that it is made mention I could see that mess. I got my cup because I like the bean coffee and I imagine it is cheaper than buying the actual coffee k-cups...